Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

harddrive question !!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cobyk

cobyk

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:29 PM

hello all,

i just put vista on my laptop with a new harddrive using the recovery disk. i'm used to xp and creating partitions but this laptop uses vista. vista is more automated at least when its an hp recover disk and did everything automatically. my question is that my harddrive is a 320 gb harddrive but only 24 gb availibility is showing after my vista install. please help!!

thanks
coby

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:56 PM

OK, can you see the hard drive's properties in "Computer" (formally known as "My Computer" in Windows XP)
How many Partitions are on this Harddrive? how much of the drive is pink and how much is blue?

I forgot how many Gb of drive space Windows Vista uses for a full install as I'm one of those people who jumped from Windows XP Home to Windows 7 Home premium.

But I can not imagine it would use that MUCH space up, even if you installed ALL the add-ons and fonts!..no way....anyways I wonder if you have the drive's size configured correctly in the motherboards main BIOS menu.

Or if the motherboards BIOS supports a drive this big (meaning drive size barriers)
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 cobyk

cobyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

OK, can you see the hard drive's properties in "Computer" (formally known as "My Computer" in Windows XP)
How many Partitions are on this Harddrive? how much of the drive is pink and how much is blue?

I forgot how many Gb of drive space Windows Vista uses for a full install as I'm one of those people who jumped from Windows XP Home to Windows 7 Home premium.

But I can not imagine it would use that MUCH space up, even if you installed ALL the add-ons and fonts!..no way....anyways I wonder if you have the drive's size configured correctly in the motherboards main BIOS menu.

Or if the motherboards BIOS supports a drive this big (meaning drive size barriers)

no, my harddrive is showing 9 gigs used up out of 24 total gigs availible ... also, shouldn't be a problem with barriers cause the drive showed up properly when i had windows xp installed. i had to change to vista though because hp has not xp drivers for my video card

Edited by cobyk, 03 February 2010 - 10:09 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

Your absolutely sure this harddrive is a 320 GigaByte drive?
Its not a 32 Gb by any chance correct?
If it is a 320 Gb drive with 1 partition, your missing a whole 296 Gb of drive space there somewhere.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 February 2010 - 10:39 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 cobyk

cobyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

Your absolutely sure this harddrive is a 320 GigaByte drive?
Its not a 32 Gb by any chance correct?
If it is a 320 Gb drive with 1 partition, your missing a whole 296 Gb of drive space there somewhere.

yea, i'm very familiar with computer optimization and repair. been doing it since windows 98. i just bought a 320 gig to replace my factory one that crashed. xp recognized it as stated earlier, but vista did its own thing and is only showing 24 gigs total. im stumped and don't want to re do this thing again.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:54 PM

Hmmm? a Vista recovery disk?
Let me step back and take a think about this, while I let someone else attempt to help you.
Don't get frustrated, you came to the right place for help...sometimes another person who owns the same machine, who had the same issue, will pop in and offer you a quick solution that works. People are good about that here in the BC forums.

#7 cobyk

cobyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:00 PM

under the properties of the hard drive on the volumes tab i populated the drive to show the space on it. i'm getting that the drive is a master boot record partition style with a capacity of 305,xxx mb. this means it recognizes the total size. i'm also showing 280,xxx mb of unallocated space?? why did vista not allocate this space?? how can i allocate it??

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:25 PM

When the disk was formated (before Vista was installed) was you given an option to set the size of the partition?
Did you allow the whole drive to be allocated as one partition at any point?

I know you said the drive was new, that there was no previous partitions made on this drive.

I'm not 100% sure about using recovery disks when installing to a new harddrive, because I've only used those to repair or re-install the O/S to the origional harddisk.

My experience has been mostly installing on an unformated harddrive an official copy of windows from upgrade disks or full versions of Windows o/s.

The only time I did do an OEM desk was installing windows2000 off of a Dell computer disk, but it was not a recovery disk, so my experience there is some-what weak.

But I love trouble-shooting problems like this.
If I have an answer I'll get back to you.

#9 cobyk

cobyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:38 AM

When the disk was formated (before Vista was installed) was you given an option to set the size of the partition?
Did you allow the whole drive to be allocated as one partition at any point?

I know you said the drive was new, that there was no previous partitions made on this drive.

I'm not 100% sure about using recovery disks when installing to a new harddrive, because I've only used those to repair or re-install the O/S to the origional harddisk.

My experience has been mostly installing on an unformated harddrive an official copy of windows from upgrade disks or full versions of Windows o/s.

The only time I did do an OEM desk was installing windows2000 off of a Dell computer disk, but it was not a recovery disk, so my experience there is some-what weak.

But I love trouble-shooting problems like this.
If I have an answer I'll get back to you.

thanks for your replies. i was able to figure it out though. i just used vista's disk management to allocate the rest of the drive to a seperate section.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:42 AM

Ok so you feel this issue is resolved then?

And by the way, your welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users