Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which is Better? Doom 3 or Half-Life 2?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sexington

Sexington

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:02 PM

I've heard mixed reviews from both, A lot of friends say Half - Life 2 is the better game but a lot of computer magazines use Doom 3 for their graphics tests and say it's the best game. So I'm wondering which is the better game?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:47 PM

actually it depends on your own personal preference... i dont read the reviews to see which game is better, i read them to find out what the games are like so that way i know what enemies i'm up against or what kind of puzzles i have to solve etc.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 freezerburn16

freezerburn16

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:25 PM

i like half life 2 much more then doom 3
doom 3's graphics are of the hook but
because they are so good everting is so close together
it seemmed to me that i was allways in a frickin hallway with stuff jumpin at me
Half life 2 is much more open
i also like the fact that hal life comes with counter strike source
fB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor (Clawhammer)
ATI Radeon X800 XL PCI Express 256MB DDR3
4Gb Kingston HyperX KHX3200/1G DDR400 PC3200 Memory
DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 ULTRA-D nForce4 Ultra
Caviar WD1200JB Special Edition 120GB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 31 August 2005 - 03:17 PM

freezerburns right in doom 3 all you do is walk through corridors and shoot stuff but the graphics are the best but half life is the best game around in my opinion and it comes with CS:S plus you can get garrys mod for free :thumbsup:
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:43 PM

Gotta go with everyone else in here. I'd pick up HL2 if i were you. It has a better story, better gameplay, and better online games.

Doom 3 is cool, but it gets old pretty fast. There's really no story/variety. Like someone else said, it's walking down hallway after hallway..... gets pretty boring...

#6 chevyusa1

chevyusa1

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:44 AM

Having never played HL2, I cannot voice my opinion of it. But I am a huge Doom fan and have been since the early days of the original Doom. Am also a huge Quake fan, although I think Quake 2 online was the funest game I've ever played online! And Quake3 had no story or missions in SP, which bummed me out, I like games that have both a story line (mission/objectives) and multiplayer ctf and freeforall. Quake3 only has Freeforall and CTF. Bummer.
The reason I like Doom3 is that it is very dark at times and that makes it alittle tougher, hard to kill enemies in the dark, since you can't use the flashlight and fire a weapon at the same time. BTW, the mods that attach a flashlight to your weapon, are for wimps! The game is intended to be dark and scary, that's what I like! I have beaten the SP game on every difficulty without cheats many times and it still startles me when a demon jumps out behind or in front of me. This makes the game a bit more exciting then previous Doom games because when you have to react very quickly at times.....or die!

#7 conk

conk

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:44 PM

doom 3 is a good game but is nowhere near asgood as the original :thumbsup:
personally i prefer unreal to quake but have never really played quake that much to be honest

like my new avatar :flowers:
If the universe is ever expanding, what are we expanding into?

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:37 PM

doom 3 is a good game but is nowhere near asgood as the original :thumbsup:
personally i prefer unreal to quake but have never really played quake that much to be honest

like my new avatar :flowers:

Oh man, i loved the original DOOM. Back in the days when you HAD to run it in DOS :trumpet:

Still though, i prefer HL2 over Doom 3....

BTW: Gotta love foamy...

#9 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:18 PM

there is an executable file running around the net that allows you to play Doom 1 AND 2 AND (still) FINAL in WINDOWS!! if my dads laptop didnt crash i'd be able to give it. but like i said it crashed.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#10 systemfile

systemfile

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:38 PM

half life 2 > doom 3
SystemFile.DLL
SystemFile.DLL

Posted Image