Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search engine redirect virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cwkimbrough

cwkimbrough

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:55 PM

Hi,
I found this site after searching for solutions to my problem.
I have run AVG, Spybot, MBAM, and Kaspersky AV. Ad-aware would not run. All of these programs found several items and removed them, now they are all telling me my computer is clean. It took me several tries to get all of these programs to work, i think as I gradually tried more they started deleting some of the viruses and allowing the others to get the rest of them. I still have this problem:
Whenever I search for something in firefox or IE with google, yahoo, etc, the search engine sends back the results, but when I click the link it directs me to a fake search engine or generic site with "information" about the topic I searched.
I have read the different posts on this forum, but am reluctant to try combofix or other fixes right away.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 03 February 2010 - 09:39 PM.
Move to AII. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cwkimbrough

cwkimbrough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 12 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

i solved the problem:
using an image of the harddrive from a couple months ago, I used apricorn ez gig II to restore the computer. I then immediately updated all my protections and am running a better firewall.
no more problems with google, its all running at normal speed now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users