Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC re-boots by itself??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Megaman1

Megaman1

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:08 PM

Hi,

Ive installed xp home on to a HDD and I took the HDD out of one PC and I put it into another PC to see if the PC would boot windows at all, and all that seems to happen is as soon as the Windows splash screen comes up, the blue screen of death comes up for a split second and then my PC re-boots, what is the cause of this???

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

The cause...is that you have a hard drive with drivers and settings from one motherboard/system...in the wrong system.

Microsoft would not like it if such was possible.

To expect it to work properly under such conditions...is overly optimistic, unless you happen to put it in a system with basically/exactly the same equipment as the system it came out of.

Worth a look, IMO: Changing a Motherboard or Moving Hard Drive - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Louis

#3 Megaman1

Megaman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

I didnt think what I did would work, I was just making sure I knew what the cause was, and you clarified that for me,
Thanks mate.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:19 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users