Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

whats going on?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 riodhr

riodhr

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

let me post whats just recently happened or at least the symptoms of it.

when i boot up i get a window that comes up, its the microsoft one that appears when a program crashes and you get asked if you want to send a report to microsoft or dont send, the file it talks about has been called a.tmp or c.tmp and is present in my windows/temp folder.

now i have run malwarebytes and it finds things backdoor stuff and adware.mywebsearch and malware.trace, even after clearing and rebooting it finds them again and i get the same message on sartup about a programme crashing do i want to send a report.

i'm feeling really lost and very overwhelmed by something thats just started happening, i have even run malwarebytes in safemode and got the same results come up on it, i also have spybot search and destroy on and avira. but i seem to be only finding symptoms rather than solutions. i really dont want to have to reformat as that would be horrifying for me to even think about having to do.

looking forward to some help, thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

Hello and welcome..
First post your infected scan log.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

We need to disable Spybot S&D's "TeaTimer"if running
TeaTimer works by preventing ANY changes to the system. It will attempt to undo any fixes we run, because it blocks these fixes from running.

In order to safeguard your system from problems that can be brought on by a half finished fix, we need to disable TeaTimer. We can reenable it when we're done if you like.
  • Open SpyBot Search and Destroy by going to Start -> All Programs -> Spybot Search and Destroy -> Spybot Search and Destroy.
  • If prompted with a legal dialog, accept the warning.
  • Click Posted Image and then on "Advanced Mode"
    Posted Image
  • You may be presented with a warning dialog. If so, press Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Click on Posted Image
  • Uncheck this checkbox:
    Posted Image
  • Close/Exit Spybot Search and Destroy

Now rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Next run ATF and SAS: If you cannot access Safe Mode,run in normal ,but let me know.

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post (old,new mbam and the SAS ) logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 riodhr

riodhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:56 PM

first thing, thanks for the speedy start to the help :thumbsup:

i did the things to spybot as you requested, here is the first mbam log i just ran, i'm rebooting back into normal mode once this is posted then i'll get on with the other things you said to do.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3685
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

2010-02-03 20:53:57
mbam-log-2010-02-03 (20-53-57).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 124578
Time elapsed: 8 minute(s), 25 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 4
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{19127ad2-394b-70f5-c650-b97867baa1f7} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{43bf8cd1-c5d5-2230-7bb2-98f22c2b7dc6} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{19127ad2-394b-70f5-c650-b97867baa1f7} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{43bf8cd1-c5d5-2230-7bb2-98f22c2b7dc6} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Network\uid (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

just as an additional now, as i rebooted that *.tmp thing came up again, my new firewall i had installed asked me about blocking it which i did, it had a name called PCSync EXE which i blocked, that is certainly part of the problem, ok i'll get on with doing the other stuff now, just thought i'd update.

Edited by riodhr, 03 February 2010 - 04:04 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:12 PM

This PcSync.exe is legit if you connect a Nokia phone to your PC.

Edited by boopme, 03 February 2010 - 10:38 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 riodhr

riodhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:05 PM

i dont own a nokia phone at all.

there is a problem though, i ran the atf and the super in safe mode, atf cleared some stuff off, the super ran clean saying it found nothing however the problem is it didnt generate a log of any kind, in the logs window the 2 tickboxes are checked, "keep a detailed log" and "save empty/clean" but there is no log file there, have i done something wrong with that?

should i run mbam again to see whats there now?

i'm a bit confused, i followed the instructions i dont know why there is no log file : /

#6 riodhr

riodhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:31 PM

i just had to block another tmp file from that pcsync, i do not believe it is that one you linked as i cannot find any file called pcsync.exe nor can i find a nokia folder on my pc so i havent installed it and its doubtful its that one you linked to.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

Hello again, we will do a couple more things here.
There are also reports of the pcsync.exe software being found in the Laplink PCSync, which synchronizes the content between several computers.
http://www.laplink.com/pcsync/

EDIT: with the SAS log.. Sometimes this happens and it comes back after a shut down and reboot. Also it sometimes shows up in the Admin or other user account.

Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download linkSave any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.
Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select FULL scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Push the Start button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

Edited by boopme, 03 February 2010 - 10:48 PM.

#8 riodhr

riodhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:28 PM

Well, i've only just got back to my pc from last night so i'll make a start on the new stuff you need me to do.

i dont have anything like that laplink software knowingly installed so i'm still kinda worried about that. when i booted up jsut now i again had 2 .tmp files come up on my firewall, one was d.tmp but i couldnt actually find that file anywhere in my temp folder, the other a.tmp (i'm sure these are just generic names for a created file) when i looked at the properties just seemed to have odd things in the descriptions , i blocked both to be sure.

i'll get on with those scans you need me to do now, i'm just you keeping updated as i think these next scans will probably take a while to get done.

with the sas log i think now i did run it as admin in safemode but i'm not sure how to get admin access on normal mode when i go to switch user it just has my name not an admin option, i'm sure thats hidden at first? but i'll be able to access that possibly?

Edited by riodhr, 04 February 2010 - 06:42 PM.

#9 riodhr

riodhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:09 PM

i've now jsut ran the tc which took some stuff off, rebooted from that, have just finished the mbam full scan and here is the report from that

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3691
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

2010-02-05 01:06:54
mbam-log-2010-02-05 (01-06-54).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 230890
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 20 minute(s), 10 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 4
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{19127ad2-394b-70f5-c650-b97867baa1f7} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{43bf8cd1-c5d5-2230-7bb2-98f22c2b7dc6} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{19127ad2-394b-70f5-c650-b97867baa1f7} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\{43bf8cd1-c5d5-2230-7bb2-98f22c2b7dc6} (Backdoor.Bot) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Network\uid (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Stuff\fire warrior trainers\MoFunZone.com--warhammer_40000_firewarrior_c00_3_trainer\pztrain.exe (Malware.Packer.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Stuff\fire warrior trainers\pzwarham4kc00trn2\pztrain.exe (Malware.Packer.Gen) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

i'm now rebooting and i'll get on with the next scan

#10 riodhr

riodhr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:43 PM

Here is the report from the eset scan

C:\i386\GTDownDE_87.ocx probably a variant of Win32/Adware.Agent application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
C:\QooBox\Quarantine\C\WINDOWS\system32\phcvttj0etdv.bmp.vir Win32/TrojanDownloader.FakeAlert.DJ trojan cleaned by deleting - quarantined

while the scan was going on i had 3 more tmp hits on my firewall, i found the files in my temp folder and upon inspection of the properites there was what i would call gibberish in the company name etc so i blocked them again. they all seemed to be right as the scan finished. i dont know if they were something to do with the scan but i'm paranoid enough at the moment that i checked them and not being sure i blocked them.

Edited by riodhr, 04 February 2010 - 10:48 PM.

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 04:07 PM

Hi, Well research shows SAS should remove a,b,c & d tmp.. since we are not having success I will suspect that a rootkit or another Bot is well protected and we willl need to have an HJTlog reviewed and the malware dug out.

You will need to run HJT/DDS.
Please follow this guide. go and do steps 6 thru 8 ,, Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis. Then go here HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post that complete log.

Let me know if it went OK.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/294012/unknown-problem/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, up to two weeks perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users