Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely slow shutdown in XP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rudyg28

rudyg28

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hello, this is my first post and I am at wits end with a relative's computer that is acting up. The computer seems to work OK but when trying to shut it down it takes between 6 and 10 minutes to do so. It breaks down like this. 3-5 minutes from the time you click start/ turn off computer for the desktop to turn grey, and another 3-5 minutes to reach the next pop up screen standby/turn off/ restart/ cancel.
Using the task manager to turn off the computer enables you to bypass the first delay, but the second is still there.
I have tried just about everything I could find on this forum and others related to the issue and have had no success whatsoever. I have run hardware scans, disabled drivers, processes, and checked for malware, not to mention editing the registry time out values and such. Does anyone here have a way for me to correct this?
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:08 PM

Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter - http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php

Troubleshoot XP Shutdown Problems (MS) - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308029

Troubleshooting Windows Shutdown Problems - http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...s-Shutdown.html

Troubleshooting Windows XP Shutdown Issues - http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm

Louis

#3 rudyg28

rudyg28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:23 PM

Hello Louis,
The different links you have sent me to are all very familiar looking to me. I have tried I believe, everything short of reinstalling windows. From the information I gathered, the machine is an older E-machine, that until a few months ago worked fine. I wish I was informed a bit sooner about this problem as trying to run back system restore points would be a bit easier. During that time, the computer has been left on continiously and during the course of my scans I found a couple of trojans. These have been removed, the registry cleaned, and while the overall preformance of the computer is much improved, the shutdowm issue is still there. It would sure be nice if there was a piece of software that would show which driver/file was holding things up.

#4 rudyg28

rudyg28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

Hello Louis,
The different links you have sent me to are all very familiar looking to me. I have tried I believe, everything short of reinstalling windows. From the information I gathered, the machine is an older E-machine, that until a few months ago worked fine. I wish I was informed a bit sooner about this problem as trying to run back system restore points would be a bit easier. During that time, the computer has been left on continiously and during the course of my scans I found a couple of trojans. These have been removed, the registry cleaned, and while the overall preformance of the computer is much improved, the shutdowm issue is still there. It would sure be nice if there was a piece of software that would show which driver/file was holding things up.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:22 PM

I know...that's the problem with shutdown issues.

Sorry, but that's the best I can do :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 rudyg28

rudyg28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

Thank you anyways. I have done all the above and cannot figure out the particular hangup. Perhaps there is a fast shutdown program I can use until there is a way to troubleshoot further.
Thanks again.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

Does the same problem exist in Safe Mode?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users