Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalled Adobe Acrobat 6.0 to repair and now

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jackiemarie

jackiemarie

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:49 PM

Because I know next to nothing, this has to be simple. I had to uninstall Adobe Acrobat 6.0 and reinstalled using the disk. Now when I try to access a pdf file, it never even opens it, no error messages appear, just the entire connection evaporates into space - all in about 3 seconds. Some IT folks that saw it said they'd never seen anything like it.
Now I've uninstalled everything with 'adobe' on it at Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. What is first? Do I install the Adobe Download Manager, then reinstall with the disk, then download the Reader 9.3?

Any suggestions, please and thank you.
jackiemarie :thumbsup:

Windows XP Pro
IE7
HP Compaq dc7600
Service Pack 3
Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz

EAM, MBAM Pro, MB Anti-Exploit 

HP g7-1310 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:30 PM

If you are just using the pdf reader, try something different
Foxit:
http://download.cnet.com/Foxit-Reader/3000...4-10313206.html
PDF-XCHANGE VIEWER
http://download.cnet.com/PDF-XChange-Viewe...4-10598377.html

Both free
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jackiemarie

jackiemarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:51 PM

Thanks, garmanma; in the meantime I read a horrible review of the Foxit and the pdf-Exchange link I used said the website was updating and to check back later (these were in older pages of the All Other Applications Forums.
Therefore, I reinstalled Abode Shockwave Player and Adobe Flash Player from the Adobe downloads site which brought with in the Adobe Download Manager; then re-installed 6.0 using the disk; then went to a download site in the UK for the free download of Adobe 8.2 Reader (because the Reader 9.3 comes with Acrobat on Adobe Air--just too much), and voila! I can open pdf files once more.
I really appreciate bleeping computer; older folks like me really need the info that is found here.
Blessings,
jackiemarie :thumbsup:

EAM, MBAM Pro, MB Anti-Exploit 

HP g7-1310 - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Intel i3 - 6 GB Ram

What you value is your reward.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users