Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP home boot up issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Calikinakka

Calikinakka

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

Hey everyone, long time reader first time poster.

I've got a machine here that I've been working on for quite a while. The hardware checks out ok. It is a Dell Dimension 2400. It came to me because it wouldn't boot. The first time I looked at it a chkdsk /r/f fixed the boot issue. So I sent it on it's way. Now it is back and being even more stubborn. I was able to do a windows repair on it last night and then run some updates and fix a couple programs. It rebooted during this multiple times. I turned it off when I went home, but I came back in and it was having the same issue again. Now... like I said earlier, the hardware all checks out. No burst caps, no overheating, ram is good, cpu tested good. The only thing I haven't really tested yet was the PSU. I unplugged the second optical drive and I was able to get into windows.

So my question is, can a flakey psu cause windows to stay at the loading screen and not completely boot up?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:53 PM

I don't see where you ran a long diagnostic on the hard drive.

<<can a flakey psu cause windows to stay at the loading screen and not completely boot up?>>

Sure...so can any number of other flaky components.

The hard drive is the base upon which an operating system install is built...it should be one of the first things to check when things go wrong, IMO.

Louis

#3 Calikinakka

Calikinakka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:57 PM

I've checked the hard drive twice with a hardware scan. It passes everything. SMART SHORT and SMART EXTENDED. So as far as the drive itself, it doesn't see itself failing soon.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

I would not rely on SMART...it should not be considered the equivalent of running the long test from the manufacturer of the hard drive, IMO.

But that's the way I look at things, which may not reflect reality.

Louis

#5 Calikinakka

Calikinakka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:06 PM

Do you have a preferred test program? I'm open to suggestions. The bruise on my forehead is getting unsightly and the brick wall seems to have a dent now.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:13 PM

Respective hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic...they create these to fit the drive which they make....are available as downloads from the manufacturer's website.

Examples only, since some of these are outdated:

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Might come in handy, How to successfully burn or write an ISO-image to cd or dvd - http://iso.snoekonline.com/iso.htm AND How to write a CD-DVD image or ISO - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/

Louis

#7 Calikinakka

Calikinakka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

I'll give that a try. Thanks. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users