Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help sorely needed with really strange browser problem.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

I hope someone can help me with this really odd browser problem I am having with both Mozilla Firefox and IE8. My OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and up to date. Since yesterday I have lost certain aspects of the on screen display graphics. My preferred browser is Firefox and on the firefox start page I do not have the Firefox Start in deep blue and the Globe with Fox straddling it, just the search box part. On all my visited sites it is as half the graphics are missing. I can read everything and the sites are spread out like normal but I just have this plain white background like you see in the screenshot on every site I visit regardless of what it's usual layout was. I have exactly the same problem in IE8. I share this PC with my adult daughter, both of us have administrative accounts and mentioned this to her. She said that her account was working normally and on her signing in to check we saw that indeed her side in both Firefox and IE8 were perfectly normal. I then thought that somehow my Firefox profile had been corrupted as well as my IE8 one. I could not uninstall/reinstall IE8 as it was installed prior to SP3 installation but I reinstalled it over the top of the standing version. I then used Revo at it's strongest setting to uninstall Firefox. On reboot I opened up hidden files and folders and did a very thorough search in Application data and Local Settings, Application Data for every entry listed and deleted everything I found regarding Mozilla or Firefox. I did a search which came up clean and then I rebooted and installed a new downloaded copy of Firefox. The result of this is that I still have exactly the same problem as I had before. Opening my daughters account revealed that both Firefox and IE8 are functioning correctly in her account. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this. Apart from this problem everything else on my PC appears to be working as it usually does. I am really stuck as what could cause this and would really appreciate the help.

Posted Image
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

Since you have very same problem in FF and IE, it doesn't look like your browsers problem, but rather your Windows account is corrupted.
Try to create new Windows profile: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the reply Broni, after a lot of to-ing and fro-ing I finally found that the problem was a faulty Windows Account creator. I had the thread below posted in the Win XP forum not realising at that time the problems were connected. I have posted a link to the thread below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/292787/help-me-get-my-background-color-back-please/
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:38 AM

I see....

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users