Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wired AND wireless

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tim2286

tim2286

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

I have 3 computers, two of them are 'fun' only, one is 'work' only. I used to just unplug the cable from the router and connect it to the computer when I used the 'work' computer. The other two are connected through the router. Should I just plug the third computer cable into the router. Will that compromise the security? Or are only wirelessly connected computers susceptible?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:21 PM

Any network is susceptible to attack. But with a wired connection they have to physically touch the wires to do anything. Not impossible but not easy either and someone would REALLY have to want your info.

Wireless on the other hand if not properly secured can allow someone access rather easily to your network. But if you have WPA/WPA2 enabled and use a sentence rather than a word then you are fairly secure.

The biggest hole in security is doing what we all have a PC for, surfing the web and email. Now a days you click the wrong link or open the wrong email and you get malware, spyware, viruses and all sorts of nasty crap. These things can punch a hole in any security you have and let someone walk right in.

So yeah plug in or use wireless, just have it secured and you'll be fine. Surf smart, don't get click happy and don't install something just because a window pops up saying you need to or something bad will happen.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

As long as "File & Print Sharing" are turned off you should not have any issues!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users