Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I have wireless?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chayden

chayden

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:33 PM

Hi:
I am working on a friend's computer, a Dell Inspiron E1505. It had a terrible virus and I had to reinstall the system (XP SP 3 media edition).

The disk set included a separate disk with many drivers, including those necessary for networking. I installed the driver for the broadband connection and that is working fine. However, there are a variety of drivers for wireless and I have installed several but can't get the wireless to function.

I was thinking perhaps the computer doesn't have the hardware. I looked in system information and under Network, there is no listing of any wireless network adapters or cards. Does this mean the computer doesn't have the hardware it needs for wireless -- or is it simply lacking the driver and I have not yet hit upon the correct one? If it just needs the driver(s), how do I know which ones? And does it hurt to install them all? I am very confused. My friend tells me she thinks it had wireless...

The computer is out of warranty so Dell refuses to give me any help.

I appreciate any help you might have. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

That machine does have wireless.

If you go to start > Control Panel > System. General tab. What Service Pack is shown?

Then go to the Hardware tab > Device Manager. Are there any ? or ! shown? Particularly under Network adapters.

You can obtain the most current available drivers for that machine as well as a list of it`s hardware HERE.

#3 chayden

chayden
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:53 AM

Went on dell and found it, downloaded the wireless file (which said optional) and finally, the computer now has wireless.

Very strange t hough -- under network adapters device drivers -- before I did this, there was no wireless. Nothing on the computer to indicate that it had wireless.

Thanks for your help.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Your :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users