Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q670

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nanllyn

nanllyn

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:32 PM

I hope this is the correct forum to post this in.
I just have a general question. I just bought the Toshiba with the I5 core with 4GB of memory. I have not installed any programs on it yet as I've only had it a couple of days.
My question is I was having Media Center register(or whatever it is called when it is adding music folders) my mp3's. Now I have 36,000 mp3's so it is alot and it was on an external drive but a fast external drive. It had been indexing and getting information from the internet for approx 24 hours. I was on the internet streaming music as well but that was all that was going on when the system completely froze up. I had to do a hard reboot.
So my question is do you think I may have a bad laptop or that I may need more power and need to go up to the I7 system. I know that my laptop may freeze from time to time don't get me wrong but I only have 3 more days to return it if it is that fact of a bad laptop or underpowered. If you just think it might have been just one of those times and not a problem with the laptop itself then that is what I need to know.
Thanks for your help.
Nancy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:54 PM

Well...anytime that you are connected to the Internet...you compound the possible issues.

Could be your connection, could be something encountered on the Internet...could be your network device, PSU, etc.

If the system functions well without connection to the Internet...it's not the system.

The best thing to do would be to look for clues.

That means looking at Event Viewer (or Win 7 equivalent) and looking for .dmp files that might result from a BSOD.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/

When dealing with Internet issues...system power is not the major consideration, it would be bandwidth (I think).

If System A is twice as powerful as System B...but has the same upload/download capabilities...System A will not function any better or worse than System B, since accessing files would be the only other variable (which is governed somewhat by the hard drives). Yes, a faster CPU theoretically can access files in a speedier manner...but there's a limit to how much of that is CPU versus RAM versus hard drive access times.

Be that as it may...the differences between an I5 and I7 system I would not expect to be dramatic.

I don't think there's an easy answer to what you are asking...but I've been wrong before (many times) :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users