Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extra Drives E, F, G, J??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 emohan

emohan

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:19 AM

Hello i have a dell laptop that is showing up extra drive letters E, F, G, and J. Right now I have no USB flash drives in it, if i do put in a USB flash drive then it will label it I or J. I am running XP SP3, any help or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:02 PM

I would suspect (I don't know, since I don't use flash drives or such) that those letters were assigned to your card readers and that they are reflected as "removeable disk".

I further suspect that you have the duplication because of not playing by the "safely/properly remove hardware" settings in XP.

Wild guess of the day :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 February 2010 - 01:03 PM.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

Not so wild Hamluis. I`m guessing you are dead on. :thumbsup:

#4 emohan

emohan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:30 PM

If that were the case, how would i go about removing these drive letters? thanks again.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

Hmm...I guess that I would just use Device Manager, uninstall each, reboot...and see what happens.

The drive letters for the card reader should reinstall, since XP will detect those.

Then inserting a card in either of those should act just as an optical drive does...when media is inserted, the device is populated.

It seems that the typical USB card-reader/drive problem...is one of drive letters not being assigned/reflected in My Computer, so I think yours is a unique situation. That may indicate that your USB drivers for the USB controllers...need to be removed and the controllers will automatically reinstall upon reboot.

Louis

#6 emohan

emohan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

they are not showing up in device manager???

#7 jay_man

jay_man

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:44 PM

It is normal for these to populate the MY COMPUTER area. If you have card readers, these will show as removable disk. Now, with that said, if you want to change the drive letter, you can do so under the disk management console within the administrative tools -> computer management found in your system's control panel. Right click a drive and choose change drive letter. That simple. Leave a few empty between the removable disks and your hard drive(s) / media drive(s) so that any newly plugged in USB or other drives will acquire a higher drive letter. But this really doesnt matter to be honest with you. It is just how windows manages the drives.

You will not see drive letters in device manager right away unless an actual media card is inserted and you go into the device's properties. To see a drive letter in device manager, go under DISK DRIVES and expand the list. right click properties for each reader (you should recognize them by name)...and go to its VOLUMES tab Click on POPULATE at the bottom ... and if a card is inserted it will list it at the bottom and its corresponding drive letter. But you dont need to do this. You could manually remove the card reader(s) if you want by clicking on the device in device manager and choosing uninstall. But again, no need. Windows will reinstall these and assign a drive letter again, unless you choose disable instead of uninstall. But then the drives wont function at all until restored as active...

If you are woried about drive letters, change them as discussed. Hope this helps!

Edited by jay_man, 10 February 2010 - 10:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users