Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Win 7 HP To Win 7-XP Pro Dual Boot Went Well, But I Can't Find A Couple XP Drivers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:19 AM

Hello, and many thanks to anyone willing to help. I really appreciate it. I started a similar thread at the XP forum a few days ago, but after little to no response I decided that this was the place I should have posted originally. My HP Pavilion dv4 2040us with an AMD Turion II M500 processor, an AMD M880G chipset, and ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics came with Windows 7 Home Premium preinstalled. After tweaking and backing up with a couple of imaging programs (paranoia is good), I was able to successfully install Windows XP Professional in a dual boot configuration. After getting the wireless up and running, installing antivirus software, updating Windows, and updating HP, I ran an HP Health Scan. The scan didn't show any critical issues; however, it did state that I was missing an SM Bus Controller, a Serial Device, and a Video Controller. I've learned a bit about computers since I bought my laptop some years ago, but I'm far from expert. Googling has gotten me virtually nowhere with regards to the SM Bus Controller and the Serial Device (Cheerios holder?). As for the Video Controller, I understand the concept but haven't been able to find anything at the HP site, Microsoft updates, or the AMD/ATI site. At the AMD/ATI site there was one download (10-1_xp32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu) available that seems to install but doesn't improve the graphics or allow me to open the Catalyst Control Center. Presently the graphics are OK, but the occurrence of jumping-jerking images when I change screen views leads me to believe that that they could-should be better. Please, does anyone know where I can get these three (3) missing drivers? Or, should I take heart in the old adage "If I Ain't Broke, Then Don't Fix It?" Thanks again for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:29 AM

you should be able to locate all of the XP drivers here http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...80&lang=en# also the XP forum probably was the best location for this but thats ok. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

the_patriot09: sorry for posting in the wrong forum and thank you for the thought. Unfortunately, the HP site's offering of XP drivers for my model is a thin half-dozen: Quick Launch buttons, audio driver, Wireless Assistant, Motorola SoftStylus (handwriting recognition), system diagnostics (recovery partition tool), and HP Update (didn't find me anything). Any other thoughts? Is there such a thing as a generic Video Controller (VGA Compatible), or a generic SM Bus Controller, or a generic Serial Device?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:14 AM

s there such a thing as a generic Video Controller (VGA Compatible), or a generic SM Bus Controller, or a generic Serial Device?

Find out what chipset is being used and you might be able to go to that site for the driver

You can use the program SIW to get more info
http://www.gtopala.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:58 PM

garmanma: thanks for the thought but, as I typed in my original post, the AMD/ATI website doesn't even have a link for my chipset and the one download for "laptop" and "XP" doesn't install correctly. I've seen mention of a Microsoft Video Controller (VGA Compatible) multiple places, but when I go to the Microsoft site there's nothing when I search for "Video Controller." Any other ideas? Ahhh, thanks for the link to SIW; that's a rad little program, especially nice because it's standalone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users