Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem adding XP Pro to Win 7 laptop for dual boot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ascoredhat

ascoredhat

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:20 AM

Hello,

Recently I inquired about the feasibility of adding XP Pro to a newly-purchased laptop pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Edition so as to be able to have the option of dual boot so for certain older programs I have (as well as an older printer with no Vista/7 drivers) on my network, I can boot to the XP and run those programs there.

keyboardNINJA replied in the affirmative and gave me a link to a site that gave step-by-step instructions of how to do it (thank you!).

It all seems to make total sense, and I was able to use the Shrink Volume feature in Disk Management (successful), then went on to the step of putting in the XP Pro disk and restarting the computer and choosing to boot from the CD.

It got as far as installing much of the setup files, but before getting to the next step of choosing a partition to put it on, instead the error message comes up:
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time..." blah blah blah (I'm sure the experts here are familiar enough with the entire message).

I did the things it recommended (restarting the computer again, checking for viruses, checking for hard drive corruption, etc). But the message still comes up at that same point in trying to install XP.

Any ideas on what could be causing the XP to be having trouble installing and how to get it to get past that point so as to let me choose the partition to put it in and get it installed and then move to the next steps needed to properly have a dual boot laptop?

Thanks for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:59 AM

Yes, I recall giving you that advice. :huh:

So, you're getting a BSOD (blue screen of death) when trying to do a clean install? That's odd. :huh: I've never heard of that happening.

But after a Google search, this came up:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21769080-...h-install-of-xp

Not sure if this is due to the same reason yours will not work...

What is the stop code you get?
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

Since Vista/Win 7 bootloaders are the same...should be something similar to Install XP in Vista Computers - http://skyjuiceiswater.blogspot.com/2008/0...-computers.html .

Louis

#4 ascoredhat

ascoredhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:57 PM

Thanks, hamluis and keyboardNinja for your replies.

I thought I had added this response a couple days ago, but it seems to have disappeared into NeverNeverLand.

In reply to your question, keyboardNinja, the stop code that comes up is "STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF778D2524, 0X0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000).

I'm finally ready now to try again using your links for assistance. Wish me luck and I'll let you know if it works. (fingers crossed)

#5 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:08 PM

Well, the stop codes you gave and the stop codes given in the topic I linked to are almost identical (except for the first one inside the parenthesis). I can only assume that either the cause of your problem is closely related, or that those are just generic stop codes (if there is such a thing). Googling your stop codes came up with nothing (not a single match).

Check your BIOS settings. It can't really be anything else. A clean install is only dependent (more or less) on a working hard drive, viable installation media, and correct BIOS settings.

Good luck!! :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 05 February 2010 - 04:09 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

Well...the clean install is somewhat complicated by the fact that XP cannot change Vista/Win 7 bootloader files, whereas either of those are geared to change XP boot files.

To be honest, I just find it a lot easier to go by the first-in = oldest guidance, but users with new systems won't have that option (since Win 7 will be installed).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2010 - 05:32 PM.

#7 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:45 PM

But if you format the drive first, would it matter?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:41 PM

Well...what I found with XP CDs was...formatting in advance of installation efforts may lead to STOP errors or messages indicating that XP doesn't see the drive.

I think that this is due to the fact that the XP install CD is geared to do it all (format/create/install) and that sequence should not be disturbed.

I assume that Win 7 works the same way, MS tends to build upon prior technologies that worked well.

Formatting a drive is important in terms of laying the groundwork for the O/S, but the bootloader is esential for gaining access to that O/S lying on the file system.

You have to remember...we used Win XP for nine years, so we became very familiar with boot.ini files and how to correct them. the Vista/Win 7 bootloader is an entirely different animal, just something new that we have to become accustomed to using.

There's still a lot of trial-and-error knowledge to be gained, just as such was gained in time with XP.

Louis

#9 ascoredhat

ascoredhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:42 PM

Well, that was a bit of a scare.

From what I was gathering, the advice was to change the SATA Mode in the Bios setup from the ACHI that this laptop was set for to IDE, which would allow the SATA to recognize the XP installation. After doing a few ACHI VS IDE google searches, it sounded like a harmless enough change to make. So when starting up the laptop I pressed F2 to get into the Setup and changed the SATA mode from ACHI to IDE, saved and exited.
After that I got the windows error recovery message saying windows failed to start and went to a windows repair window. Its only solution was a System Restore, which supposedly would bring it back to before the problem started. I chose it and it restarted, but it went right back into the same Windows failed to start/windows repair loop. So I turned off the computer and and went back to Setup and changed the IDE back to ACHI and saved and exited.

To my horror, regardless of the fact I had changed it back to where it was in the first place when it worked, it STILL gave the same error messages and windows repair loop. So not only was I not able to get the dual boot thing going, I was no longer able to do ANYTHING with that computer. I was in panic mode.

But after a while of the third time around windows repair loop going, it said it couldn't fix the problem and gave an option to send an inquiry in to MS and I restarted again.

This time, for what ever reason, windows DID start. Doesn't seem to be any permanent damage, other than now the McAfee isn't working and clicking "FIX" doesn't help. Guess I'll take that one up with McAfee.

In regards to my desired dual boot issue, I'm back to square one, and much more nervous about trying to make any other changes to things I don't really understand in the first place.

If I had to choose between the two systems, at this point I would go with the XP Pro which would work better with my home network and printers and worry about upgrading to 7 later. I assume since the laptop didn't come with a Windows 7 disk that once I wipe the slate clean I won't be able to install it later without having to go out and buy it. But oh well. That would probably be around the time I would upgrade ALL my computers and printers anyway, so would most likely end up with Windows 7 Pro (or whatever they call it).

Okay... now that that is settled, my next question would be this: How do I reformat the drive for an XP Pro install? Since the Bios is set up in the ACHI instead of IDE, and apparently won't let me change it without punishing me, won't I run into the same problems in trying to install the XP Pro after I reformat? Also, will reformatting be a problem since I already took the step of shrinking the volume before I attempted the install the XP for the dual boot?

I don't know if it helps or not, but here is the laptop I have: Acer Aspire # 5517-5689, HDD: Toshiba MK555GSX, SATA/300.

I appreciate all the help everyone has given me so far. If I can just figure out now the best way to make this laptop into an XP Pro only, I would be happy at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users