Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive constantly being accessed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dwd40

dwd40

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:26 AM

Hello,

I've been working in the "Am I infected" area and getting that under control now. I am having some slow computer issues which I think is due to a constantly accessed hard drive. I have done CTL- ALT-DELETE to see what processes are running and the most resources seem to be sucked up by System Idle Process. How do I figure it out further?

Also been trying to follow the startup guide and advice but having some trouble exactly understanding how to use the Autoruns. Just worry about the login or do I have to check every .dll file and so forth?

I have Zonealarm, AVG free, SUPERantivirus, Malwarebytes loaded.

Any advice is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:57 AM

System Idle Process is exactly where you want the CPU usage to be, especially when you are not using the computer for other things. That is what shows how much of CPU is FREE, or not being used. Mine is usually sitting at around 95.

What kind of processor do you have, how much ram do you have installed and what programs does Autoruns show you have set to run on startup?

Edited by Stang777, 03 February 2010 - 01:00 AM.

#3 dwd40

dwd40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:00 AM

Okay. Thanks for the reply.

Before I had the malware and had to do a Windows repair install the hard drive did not act like this. It extremely annoying! And slow.

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:02 AM

I edited my post, about the time you were responding, to add some questions. Please check the above post and if possible, tell me the answer to those questions?

I am not certain that your system is free of malware since you have not completely finished up in the Am I Infected section of the forum. I know Boopme said you can also check here for help with the harddrive but until we are sure there is no more malware on it, it seems kind of futile to try to diagnose it here, but we can try.

What processes are listed in taskmanager as running?

Also, since a repair install did not help, you might want to start backing up your data and considering a fresh install.

I would also make sure your hard drive is not failing by running checkdisk and the harddrive test that can be obtained from the harddrive makers website.

Edited by Stang777, 03 February 2010 - 01:17 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:27 AM

How large is the C: partition...and how much free space is on it?

I also agree with the comments about ensuring that Boopme has given you the "all clear" before we start suggesting things. I would ask that you double-check that with him, please.

Louis

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:33 AM

Hello,

I've been working in the "Am I infected" area and getting that under control now. I am having some slow computer issues which I think is due to a constantly accessed hard drive. I have done CTL- ALT-DELETE to see what processes are running and the most resources seem to be sucked up by System Idle Process. How do I figure it out further?

Also been trying to follow the startup guide and advice but having some trouble exactly understanding how to use the Autoruns. Just worry about the login or do I have to check every .dll file and so forth?

I have Zonealarm, AVG free, SUPERantivirus, Malwarebytes loaded.

Any advice is appreciated.

Aren't AVG and Superantivirus both antivirus programs? You should only have 1, other wise it's like they fight each other and not good for your computer performance... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

SUPERAntiSpyware...is not an AV program. My interpretation of what was listed...was SUPERAntiSpyware. UUPERAntiSpyware is routinely used to remove certain types of malware.

But...I see that there is now something called Superantivirus that some users are downloading, http://superantivirus.com/.

Personally, I tend to be suspicious of AV programs that suddenly appear...but the Symantec site advisor did not raise any flags.

Sooo...if the OP can tell us what is really installed, it will eliminate confusion (on my part).

Louis

#8 dwd40

dwd40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:20 PM

Thanks to all.

I will run the ESET scan that boopme has asked me to do. Malwarebytes is coming out clean now.

I did mean to put down SUPERantispyware. Sorry. I have a Pentium D 2.8 GHz and 3GB of RAM. 20GB of free space on a 144GB hard drive. I did run the Seagate tools test before posting and it didn't show any issues. I ran CHKDSK just now and it said it deleted 1 corrupt entry an says File syste is NTFS Warning! F parameter is not set. Running in read only mode. The first time I ran it I saw it going through 1 of 3 stages and it completes 100% of first stage and the window closed. I will run a second time.

How do I export the Task manager process list for posting here? I can print screen but it is too small. I have about 47 processes running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users