Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network adapters are not getting IP addr from DHCP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wyo_john

wyo_john

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:25 PM

I'm troubleshooting a Gateway MX3210 laptop PC that for some reason wont talk to any DHCP server. Both the ethernet adapter and the Broadcom 802.11 Wireless G internal adapter resort to using APIPA for TCP/IP addressing after trying to authenticate with my wireless router running DHCP. I know the network key I'm providing when using Wireless Zero Config. is the correct key, but still no authentication. And the ethernet adapter isn't getting addressed by DHCP either, and it does not require a key. The PC owner has lots of third party antivirus and security software installed. He's usng both Windows Firewall and a Zone Alarm firewall. What software setting could be blocking the DHCP server service? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wyo_john

wyo_john
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:47 AM

I ran some commands in the command prompt with the following results:
command: "netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" dhcp" result: "Dhcp is already enabled on this interface"
command: "netsh interface ip set dns name="Local Area Connection" dhcp" result: "Ok."
command: "ipconfig /renew" result: "An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection 7 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:31 AM

I don't think it's possible to use ZA and the Windows firewall at the same time...generally, any 3d-party firewall installed turns off the Windows firewall.

If this system doesn't reflect such...I'd start there.

Louis

#4 wyo_john

wyo_john
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

"I don't think it's possible to use ZA and the Windows firewall at the same time...generally, any 3d-party firewall installed turns off the Windows firewall.

If this system doesn't reflect such...I'd start there.

Louis"

I was under the same impression until now. Both firewalls were up and running. I disabled Windows Firewall to no avail...still no renewal of DHCP addressing. The laptop gets an IP address from DHCP wirelessly at startup, but if I try to renew at a command prompt or drop the connection using Wireless Zero config., the wireless adapter wont talk to the DHCP server anymore. Same goes with the ethernet adapter...DHCP works at startup, but not thereafter.
John

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:14 PM

Running 2 firewalls is a bad idea.

So in fact it does get an address from the DHCP server when it boots but something is stopping it from getting one after it is up and running. When it is has an IP address from the DHCP server, can you ping the server?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

I got the same issue, its a Gateway 6020 lapto and the broadcom adaptor sees the networks but won't connect to them. I tried downloading knew drivers but that don't work I checked all settings maybe it has something to do with the IP address?

#7 wyo_john

wyo_john
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:25 PM

It was the Zone Alarm Client software, some setting I missed somewhere in the firewall, that was causing the network adapters to not be able to talk to or see a DHCP server while the ZA Client software processes were running. I exited the program and both adapters, ethernet and wireless, got IP addresses from my DHCP server (router.) The adapters were getting IP addresses at startup I think because the Windows DHCP Client service starts before the ZA Client process loads into memory.
Problem solved...thanks everyone who read/commented.
John L Austin MCP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users