Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer has power, but no HD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 A_G

A_G

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:01 PM

I believe i have this in the appropriate forum, if i do not im sorry.

about a week ago, i had gotten the "internet security 2010" virus/malware whatever it was. Thankfully the day before i got it i had download malware-bytes. Used it and eradicated it. But i couldn't get my internet connection to work, or fire fox to load. And i was having other issues, so i rolled my computer back a week and re-scan it and removed all traces of anything.

I un-installed fire fox and updated to the new version 3.6. But the new version kept crashing. I just chocked it up to a bug on the Firefox side.

another thing, right when that malware/virus thing hit i got the blue screen and it rebooted, i hadnt seen a blue screen on any of my computers since win 98.

Fast forward.

Last night i have computer running listening to music while i play xbox across the room, i hear the computer shut off. I figured it had updated and was going to restart, i heard it go through its internal restart functions.

But it never did the visual side, nothing coming up on the screen, the little light for my HDD isn't blinking (like if it were working).

So i pulled off the cases and cleaned it out, and tried again and nothing again.

After i had gotten that virus/malware thing, i was going to go down and buy a Ext. Hard drive and back up my music/pictures etc.

anyways
What could fail based on my issue(s) and how do i test to see if they have failed??

If something other than my hard drive broke, w/e, is there someway i can hook up a Internal hard drive to pull files off it, ive got alot of pictures backed up, but i have some a late friend that i do not have copys of that id like to retrieve.

its worth a shot anyways

Anthony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 09:04 AM

First thing I would do...remove the hard drive, attach it temporarily as a secondary drive...and move valued data files from your drive to another partition.

If the drive is not reflected on the second system in Disk Management and My Computer....then that's a pretty good indication that you have a hard drive problem.

If the drive is reflected in Disk Management but not My Computer...that's an indication I would interpret as a NTFS/FAT file system problem.

FWIW: The hard drive is not the only component that will make a system shut down, several items could cause your symptoms.

Louis

#3 A_G

A_G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:32 PM

alright ill try it. thank,

#4 A_G

A_G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:35 AM

well i just tested it, and it shows in niether, assuming the HD is at fault. what would cause this?

Just get a new HD re-install windows?or hell upgrade to windows 7

is there any other way to test it, this computer is a real piece of crap (yet still working) and i want to be totally positive before buying another HD or anything else.

Thanks,
anthony

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:58 AM

Most hard drive manufacturers have created utilities designed to test the status of a hard drive...gives the user the opportunity to check functionality and also validates any RMA procedures which a user may take to replace a drive under warranty considerations.

In the event that the drive manufacturer's diagnostic offers a long and a short test...always run the long test.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/. Recommended diagnostics may be outdated, the manufacturer's website will indicate the most recent choice.

Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics - Vox - http://usasma.vox.com/library/post/bootabl...iagnostics.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users