Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iexplore.exe showing twice in processes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 goat_starer

goat_starer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hi peoples,

when running one open iexplorer window i am getting 2 instances of iexplore.exe in the task manager processes panel, one of which is consuming a lot of memory.

is this likely to be a malware/virus type thing? I have up to date virus / firewall (norton) and have run malwarebytes which is showing no infections. I have also run a hijackthis scan and saved the log - not sure if i should be posting that here (its gobbledegook to me :thumbsup: )

edit... if i try to end the higher memory use iexplore.exe process in task manager it restarts automatically.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved

cheers

Goat

Edited by goat_starer, 02 February 2010 - 08:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

Are you having any issues with system performance, security alerts about infection or browser redirection?

If not and you are using Internet Explorer 8, it is my understanding that the browser will run an extra instance of iexplorer.exe as part of the Automatic Crash Recovery feature. Internet Explorer 8 will open a new process for the main window and another process with any opened tab. This feature allows Internet explorer to prevent itself from closing when a web site in one tab crashes. As such, it is not unusual to find multiple instances of iexplore.exe running in Task Manager. However, one drawback of this new feature is that it has been reported to utilize high memory resources.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 goat_starer

goat_starer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:16 PM

ah... running ie 8 and not getting any redirections or messages so it may be that simple! :thumbsup:

thanks

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016