Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet slowing and dropping connection...help please!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Becca09

Becca09

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:43 PM

I really would appreciate if someone could help me out. for approx. 2 months now, my internet connection has been dropping speed and disconnecting frequently. I have tried restarting the computer and sometimes that will help re-establish the connection, I have tried disabling then enabling the network adapter that works too....but the connection will not stay sad.gif it is very frustrating! I have been trying for days to download AVG free but everytime I tried it would disconnect....finally was able to this morning (whewww). I cannot update my PS3 due to server reset.
I just competed a scan of my whole computer and there are no viruses at all (yay)
I have windows 7 64bit
I have changed wires - thought they maybe went bad - wasn't that
I have bought a new router - went from D-Link WBR-2310 to Linksys Wireless-N Gigabit Router WRT310N...has not changed the situation.
I have contacted my ISP and they assure me that there is no problem on their end.

I am seriously at a loss and don't know what else to do

Anybody have an idea?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:41 PM

You say it loses connection - does that mean it won't connect to a website? When this happens did you try pinging something? If not when it happens open a command prompt and type ping 4.2.2.2 and hit Enter. Looking for Packet loss.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Becca09

Becca09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:05 PM

Thank you for taking the time to respond :thumbsup:

When I said loses connection...sometimes I can't connect to a website (the connection reset or some error message...etc) sometimes I will get a yellow exclamation triangle on my network status icon, sometimes it won't be there but there won't be a connection when there says there is.

This is copied straight from the CMD when I had the yellow exclamation triangle

C:\Users\**** ******>ping 4.2.2.2

Pinging 4.2.2.2 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 4.2.2.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

This is when I was browsing the internet and the page just kept loading and loading

C:\Users\***** ******>ping 4.2.2.2

Pinging 4.2.2.2 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 4.2.2.2:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Sometimes I will get 25% loss, 50% loss or even 75% loss....its really frustrating!

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:07 AM

You have changed the wire coming from the router and router itself and still the problem persists. Your PS3 is having issues as well. Which means the problem doesn't seem to be localized to your PC.

I would suggest bypassing the router, connect directly to the modem. If you lose connection then, don't do anything to correct it, do the ping test to make double sure then pick up the phone and call your ISP. Don't let them give you the run around its their fault.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:22 AM

Sounds like faulty line of your ISP. Check you hear static or other noise when using telephone. Call ISP.

#6 Becca09

Becca09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for the input guys :thumbsup: I really appreciate it.

I kinda thought that my ISP was giving me the run around, I have talked to many different techs there and they have all told me to do something different, including trying my connection without a firewall (which I never did).

If its a phone line problem tho I would have to talk to my phone company right? My ISP is AOL Canada and my Home phone is rogers.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users