Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Browser Hijacked / Redirected

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 ArinT

ArinT

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

I am having couple of problems with my machine not booting into safe mode (although the choices are there, and when the drivers start loading it stops at mup.sys) and goes back to BIOS loadup and back to booting windows into normal mode. For now I am trying to resolve problems using the Normal boot-up Mode.

The 2nd problem is that my browser is now hijacked after a virus infection. This virus was installed via a malicious software called Antivirus Plus (which was embedded with an pop-up ad at a newspaper website), which in turn had also disabled my Safe Mode. I removed the infected antivirus software (plus a infected desktop screensaver installed by AVP) using RKill, MBAM, Ad-aware & Spybot. But after 5 hrs of cleaning / rebooting work, I found a new problem wmpscfgs.exe. It took me another 3 hours to rename my "Run" files, delete the renamed-infected files and then run MBAM. After 4 reboots the computer was clean and that was the first time I went to the Internet since I was infected. I updated MBAM, Spybot and MBAM found some problems with browser hijack, so turned off my Internet, ran Hijack-this and am posting that log along with my MBAM logs.

Kindly help me by looking at my logs and let me know if you see any problems. I have access to multiple machines at home, so I am not using the infected laptop.

Also please let me know if you can help me with being able to boot into Safe Mode. Thanks a bundle.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ArinT

ArinT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

Please close topic. I have resolved the issue.

#3 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

Closed upon users request.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users