Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

backing up movies

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Thor81

Thor81

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:25 PM

Hello, does anybody have any information on the legality of backing up DVD movies to my computer? My child keeps scratching up his dvd's and its getting quite costly. I would like to just back them up and stream them, I will be turning this PC into a windows home server and plan on using it to push my content. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

Under fair-use doctrine in U.S. copyright law, it is legal to make copies, of media that you've purchased, for personal use, BUT the DMCA says it's illegal to break the CSS copy-protection used by most commercial DVD movies.
So basically, it's legal, and illegal, if that makes any sense. :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Decrypter
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Thor81

Thor81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

Well, it seems there are some conflicting laws regarding this issue. I'm not a lawyer but it seems since I'm not pirating anything here I should at least be able to make a personal copy under the fair use act. I should only have to purchase a DVD once, so I really have no moral issues with making a backup.

I'll figure out myself what I need to accomplish this. Thanks for the help

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:59 PM

You're welcome, Thor81.
Sorry couldn't be of more help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users