Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help me get my background color back please?.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:19 PM

My PC's OS is Windows XP Home Edition SP3 and up to date. I have just transferred my files and folders into a new account as my old one had become slightly corrupted. I am not sure how but for some reason all my favorite sites are coming up with the same white backing as shown in the screen shot of BC.com. Can anyone tell me how to get the normal backing color again?.Posted Image
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:40 PM

You should be able to find what you want here.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...r.mspx?mfr=true

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

Does it happen in Firefox?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:24 PM

In Firefox open Tools > Options > Content > Colors.
Check the check box labeled Allow pages to use their own colors, instead of mine, click OK to save settings.

If the check box is already checked, uncheck and save settings. Then check it and then save settings.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:21 AM

I should have said that my browser was Firefox, I have tried the above solution and it didn't work. Can someone tell me if the amount of white/plain background is normal and I am only noticing it more because I have just gone from a 17"CRT screen to a 24"TFT screen?. Could someone look at the screenshot above and tell me if the white "is" the normal color?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:07 AM

If it did not work, I suspect your Firefox settings are corrupt. The white background on your screenshot is not normal, the background color is not being shown.

Try this :
- Close all Firefox windows. Check in Task Manager that there is no firefox.exe. If there is, select it and click End Task.
- Press Windows Key + R key combination. This would popup Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog, type firefox -P and press Enter. This would open Firefox Profile Manager.
- Click Create New Profile. Follow onscreen instructions. Do nothing else then choosing a new profile name. Do not delete your old profile.
- Select your new profile. Click Start Firefox

See if you still see a white background ? You can again start Firefox Profile Manager to switch profiles, if you want to.

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:00 AM

Thanks again Romeo29, before I try that is there a possibility that my new monitor is running on minimilist setting which it is capable of and I haven't figured out how to set it up yet?.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:14 PM

Monitors setting has nothing to do with background of this site going white. A monitor setting can change the number of colors (in thousands of numbers) it can display. But that would affect all colors and only slightly.

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:33 AM

OK guys, thanks for the replies but I finally found what the problem is.

There is some kind of fault in whatever part of Windows creates a new account. I did notice when I created this new account two days ago that when I initially entered it the background was black with quite large icons. In Display I just altered it and set it up with the same settings as my old account. After trying reinstalling Firefox and IE8 and still having the same problem I thought it must be the new account that had somehow become corrupted. I decided to move all my files into the shared account folder, deleted the new account and created a new one but on opening it found I had the black background again. Before doing anything else I opened Firefox and googled BC.com and had the same problem again. I deleted this account also which now gave me only my daughters account and the Guest account which was created the last time I reformatted my PC last May and switched off at that time. Thinking that I could switch the guest account on and use it I did this and surprise surprise I have the black background and the same graphic problem when connecting to a website via both Firefox and IE8. No idea how this has happened, obviously something has gotten corrupted. As my daughters account is working perfectly I am using my files and folders in her account from the shared folder until I get some blank 4.7GB DVD+R discs and will then back up our files and reformat. That is what I plan to do unless someone has another solution.

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:27 AM

Which means your default user profile is corrupted. This is used in created new user accounts. It is located here : C:\Documents and Settings\Default User. When you create a new account, files from this are copied over to create new user account.

You say your daughter's account is working fine. So what you can do is copy your daughter's account profile as default profile and then create a new account. This is how if you wish to do it :

- Login to admin account.
- Rename C:\Documents and Settings\Default User to C:\Documents and Settings\Default_User_old
- Copy your daughter's profile to a new folder. It would be a sub-folder inside C:\Documents and Settings with your her login name as folder name. Just right-click on it select copy. Then right click inside C:\Documents and Settings\ and select paste.
- Rename the copied folder to Default User
- Now create a new user account.
Do not delete or overwrite any user profile.

Now whenever you create a new profile, you would get your daughter's settings by default in new user account. This includes her email, browser, wallpaper etc etc.

Edited by Romeo29, 04 February 2010 - 07:30 AM.

#11 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:23 AM

Thanks very much Romeo, I will give that a go and see how I get on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users