Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iexplore.exe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 VVVWDM

VVVWDM

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:42 PM

Please help -- something called "iexplore.exe" has gotten on my laptop. It replicates itself, according to my Task Manager, and gobbles up all my CPU's, causing me multiple freeze-ups. Is anyone familiar with this pestilence?

Edited by Pandy, 02 February 2010 - 08:22 PM.
Moved from HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal as no logs were included ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:51 PM

iexplore.exe is the main executable file for Microsoft Internet Explorer. If using Internet Explorer 8, it is my understanding that the browser will run an extra instance of iexplorer.exe as part of the Automatic Crash Recovery feature. Internet Explorer 8 will open a new process for the main window and another process with any opened tab. This feature allows Internet explorer to prevent itself from closing when a web site in one tab crashes. As such, it is not unusual to find multiple instances of iexplore.exe running in Task Manager. However, one drawback of this new feature is that it has been reported to utilize high memory resources.

Most of the processes in Task Manager will be legitimate as shown in these links.Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location (folder) than where the legitimate file resides and runs from there. Another techinique is for the process to alter the registry and add itself as a Startup program or service so that it can run automatically each time the computer is booted. A file's properties may give a clue to identifying it. Right-click on the file, choose Properties and examine the General and Version tabs.

Tools to investigate running processes and gather additional information to identify them and resolve problems:These tools will provide information about each process, CPU usage, file description and its path location.

Anytime you come across a suspicious file or one that you do not recognize, search the name using Google <- click here for an example.

Or search the following databases:If you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to Jotti's virusscan or VirusTotal. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users