Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When a computer crashes...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Surma

Surma

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

Could someone explain exactly what happens inside the computer when:
A: A program crashes
B: The computer crashes

While you are at it, do you know any site with noce, comprehendable informaion about these kind of things so i dont have to come here with every question i have. I didnt understand the wikipedia article.
---My computer---
Manufacturer:HP Pavilion 061 CPU:Intel Pentium 4 640, 3200 MHz (16 x 200) RAM: 1024MB Motherboard:Asus PTGD1-LA Chipset:Intel Grantsdale i915P HDD:Main256GB Ext512GB Video:Radeon X600 Series Internet:DSL 2mb/s OS:Windows XP Home Edition SP3 Firefox+IExplorer AVG Internet Security

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:18 PM

Which Wikipedia article?

I'll take a shot at a very simplified set of answers:

"Program crash" would mean that a specific program, while running, doesn't complete properly in some manner and may not release control back to the operating system

"Computer crash" could be either the operating system locking up or exiting in an improper manner, or a failure of one of the hardware components (CPU, RAM, HD, etc.)

"Hard drive crash" (I know, you didn't ask this one) specifically applies to either the hard drives mechanical components breaking down and causing a problem or the hard drives electronics failing.

Remember, I said "simplified".

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users