Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

screen not coming back from sleep/standby

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JQ11

JQ11

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

Hi! I have a old acer 1200 with xp home on it just as a computer for a young kid to play with. recently it started shutting down unexpectedly. or so it seemed. It actually seems to be going into standby mode, but when i hit the mouse or a key the screen backlight does not return. in the right light you can see the screen and manipulate it, but the backlight will not come back until you restart.

I have tried updating the video and display adapter drivers with no luck. there are no errors being recorded in event viewer either. Anyone had this problem?? any help will be appreciated.. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

You removed the old video drivers...and then installed new/fresh drivers?

Installing drivers on top of troubled drivers...can lead to frustration.

Louis

#3 JQ11

JQ11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

I believe i just updated the drivers. i will try removing the drivers and then installing the new ones. are there any other drivers i should do the same for besides the ones i listed??

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:18 PM

Just the video drivers...they seem to sometimes cause problems with hibernation/standby.

Louis

#5 JQ11

JQ11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

OK. replaced all the video drivers. no luck. i noticed i put acer 1200. its actually a dell 1200. anyone seen this before? backlight on the screen wont come back from standby unless i close the lid?.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users