Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers won't browse

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 richdouglass

richdouglass

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

Hi,

I have an XP sp3 system that was infected with some malware. I cleaned it using MBAM, SAS and Spybot and everybody seems happy now. The problem is that I can no longer access the internet with this computer. It is normally part of a domain, but is now on my home network while I'm cleaning it. I have one of its twins here as well and it doesn't care that it's not in the domain - it accesses the internet properly.

I have verified that the machine is connected to my network and has a valid IP address and it can even ping an outside server, so the connection exists, but neither IE nor FF are able to bring up a website.

I have done the following to try to resolve this issue:
- reset winsock and tcp/ip with netsh
- flushed dns
- uninstalled Symantec AV 6
- terminated Cybersitter process
- disabled my firewall.
- Ran CCleaner to check for issues.

Any suggestions for the next step to get this resolved. It has been a frustrating 6 weeks of trying to get this machine going.

Thanks.

Rich.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista, most likely, you won't need it).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 richdouglass

richdouglass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:58 PM

Hi,

With all the things that I have done on this computer, I forgot to mention that I have done this already on this XP box. As you can guess, it didn't help.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Rich.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

Windows repair: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repa...ws-XP-t138.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 richdouglass

richdouglass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

Hi,

As per the suggestion, I have done a repair install of XP and then updated it to sp3 and just in case, upgraded to IE 8.

Still same problem. I have been looking into netdiag, but don't know enough about the results to pinpoint any problems.

I have a sibling computer from the same network and the results are similar except that there are many more winsock protocols on this malfunctioning machine than on the other one, though this one has Cybersitter installed on it and I can't get rid of it as I don't know the password to get into it.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Rich.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

Is this desktop, or laptop?

Try following steps (run all of them, even, if you tried some already):

Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 30 seconds.
Power them back on.
Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

At Command Prompt, type in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Hit Enter.
Type in:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network...inSockFix.shtml (doesn't work in Vista)
Restart computer, and check again.

If that doesn't work...
Download Dial-A-Fix (DAF) (doesn't work in Vista):
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#...2C_and_articles

Have XP CD available in case DAF needs a file. Likely not!

Check all boxes on the screen (clear any restrictions if it shows any)
Then click GO!

When the entire page is finished click the HammerHead at bottom to go to the second DAF page.

Here, one at a time, do the below:

Reinstall BITS
Reinstall Windows Firewall
Repair Permissions
Reset networking

Watch for any File not found or other errors and make note as this may lead to the fix!

Restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 richdouglass

richdouglass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:58 PM

Hi Broni,

Thanks for the suggestions. I had already done the ip and winsock reset multiple times, but for completeness, I did everything you asked in the order you listed them. Unfortunately none of it helped.

When doing the last item on the list, the only errors I got were related to IE8 on this desktop machine. Everything else went just fine.

I have multiple computers connected to my router and every one except this one works fine. And I have verified that there is communication with the router as I have an IP address and I can ping outside sites such as Yahoo. This at least seems to rule out IP and DNS issues.

The only thing different about this machine seems to be the winsock protocol stack and Cybersitter. I'm going to attempt to remove it manually at some point in the next few days and see if that helps. I don't need it on this machine and it is just another unknown.

I am now ready for whatever next step you or anyone else can recommend.

Thanks.

Rich.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2010 - 06:09 PM

Yeah, Cybersitter may be the issue.
I think, it'd be against this board rules to advice you on forcibly removing such kind of software.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 richdouglass

richdouglass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

Solved:

I understand what you're saying about removing CyberSitter. I tracked down some info on getting rid of a newer version of it and used that to get rid of enough of it that it was no longer running.

After rebooting, I had to do:

netsh int ip reset reset.log
netsh winsock reset catalog
<reboot>

I now have my internet connection. Somewhere in the process the winsock catalog was messed up an CyberSitter was not allowing it to be cleaned up.

I'm happy now. Thank you again for all your help.

Rich.

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:04 PM

Excellent :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#11 trellis145

trellis145

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:28 PM

Hi Broni
On my laptop I am having the exact same issue as richdouglass. I got rid of virus(es) and everything is working except I cannot connect. I am networked and the router is doing just fine, this desktop is not having any problems connecting. But the laptop can only connect to the local network; and I had Verizon Fios people confirm that everything is working, I have correct IP.
I'm a bit intimidated by all that richdouglass has done -- I don't understand most of it! Tell me how to begin diagnosing the problems. Many thanks!

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:32 PM

trellis145

Since very computer is different, you need to start your own topic :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users