Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can a motherboard cause a bluescreen?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tdub

tdub

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:38 AM

So I ordered some things off newegg for a new computer.

ECS Black Series ATX AM2+/AM3 Motherboard GF8200A (open box deal 42$ on newegg, can return) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813135085
3.1ghz AMD Callisto 550 Dual Core Black Edition http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103680
4gb Corsair XMS2
500gb WD Internal

All was going well until I turned it on and tried to install XP. As soon it loaded all the config files and started to load windows for the install a blue screen came up. It said to run a CHKDSK /F on the HD but I dont recall how to do that with nothing on the machine. So my question(s) are:

Can the bluescreen be from the new HD?
Can the bluescreen be from the Mobo if its faulty?
Or can it be from a bad windows cd?

I highly doubt the 3rd but I really wouldnt be surprised.

Thanks in advance

Edited by tdub, 02 February 2010 - 11:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:07 PM

You got a BSOD error message...trying to install XP...on a brand new drive, which is unformatted?

The exact wording of the BSOD onscreen message...is key if you want a proper attempt at interpreting such. There are a multitude of BSOD errors that can occur and result in messages onscreen.

If the message suggested that chkdsk would solve anything...that would point to a hard drive/file system problem. But an empty drive has no file system.

Louis

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:37 PM

Major causes of install errors (in order): Bad/dirty OS CD, and memory.

If you are sure the OS CD is OK, go into BIOS and slack off memory timings, and/or increase memory voltage a tad to see if that helps the situation. Don't try an install with memory set to the XMP profile or anything like that.

Edited by dpunisher, 02 February 2010 - 01:38 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:49 PM

BSODs can be caused by all those things you mentioned, and more. Can you give us the error code (it looks like 0x000000(0x000000,0x000000,0x000000,0x000000))

You can run chkdsk from the Windows Recovery Console, which should be on the CD. You can also download a CD image of the recovery console here.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 02 February 2010 - 02:05 PM.

#5 tdub

tdub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:27 PM

thanks for the replies and ill get the error code. my old thermaltake PSU finally went out after 6 years so I have to get another one before getting the code.

I know that a BSOD can be caused by a lot of things BUT i figured I could narrow it down seeing that it is a fresh machine.

Anyway all suggestions will be tried and I will get back to you guys soon. Thank you :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users