Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[shopping] notebook vs netbook

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 toGETher

toGETher

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:26 AM

Recently, my little niece played around with my laptop and dropped it, so now my CD/DVD-ROM driver seems to be a goner. I'm not sure how I can get it diagnosed to dreadfully validate it; I've had it for +5 yrs. Any helpers? Even the light indicator besides the driver's eject button seems to stay on power off mode. :blink: It won't open.

I'm uncertain what my next step will be:

1. Just buy an external DVD drive/burner? Cheapest solution, however is it truly efficient? Those dual Blu-Ray + DVD combo driver seems to be the next buzz worthy investment, right? Which brand is best if my budget becomes USD100? (i.e. Samsung and LG units are featured sale through Techbargains.com)

2. My laptop is about 10 lbs., it will be sweet to get a light netbook for a change. A current netbook (i.e. internal features) is equivalent as my laptop. Which brand is best reliable these days? Lenovo?

3. When I'm researching for a good deal online, I somehow seem to like Lenovo's features most to date (i.e. Lenovo Ideapad Y650 or Y550P featured sale through Techbargains.com).

>> I am just scratching my head about CPU's. Average processor requires >2.0GHz, nowadays right?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834146613
http://miamitechsolutions.com/proddetail.a...rod=MDID418555U
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834146617
Which is better?

4. I usually net browse, rarely game online, store tons of photos and music, make movies, and start learning how to photoshop till I achieve pro graphic design level as a hobby.

5. I am a slave to such applications from Nero, MS Office, MS Movie Maker, Graphic Authority, and BitComet.

So which kind will go further in the long run? A new notebook, or a new netbook?

My brain is frying. Got to sleep.

Edited by toGETher, 02 February 2010 - 07:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:22 AM

Those choices are not worth the money to me.

For your purposes I like the HP G70-460US. It is at Circuit City, Tigerdirect, and CompUsa for $584.97 before 10% cash back from Bing.

Here are the specs:

Link to Bing (sign up for cashback!)

That is the machine I would get, you would be hating life working on movies and photoshop with a net book. My 2 cents.

Edited by thrillhouse, 02 February 2010 - 08:24 AM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:18 AM

I doubt any netbook would be satisfactory for movie and photo editing or office-type software, so you should consider replacing the laptop (if portability is of importance to you, then why carry around an external hard drive?). You could, of course, have the current laptop repaired, but given its age, you might be better in the long run to replace it entirely.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

Indeed. Netbooks are designed for basics tasks with hardware to match the intended usage.

Replacing your laptop makes perfect sense.

I am just scratching my head about CPU's. Average processor requires >2.0GHz, nowadays right?
Which is better?

Processor:
IdeaPad Y550P > IdeaPad Y650 > IdeaPad U550

Edited by ReviverSoft, 02 February 2010 - 07:56 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users