Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rikki

rikki

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 06:26 AM

I noticed that there were items missing from Photoshop CS3. I was advised to uninstall and reinstall. Fair enough. Trouble is, it won't let me. I tried everything. Add/Remove just wouldn't let me uninstall. I didn't get much help with doing it manually so I decided the only way is to reinstall Windows. Sounds drastic, doesn't it?

Next thing is, if I'm going to all that trouble, why not create partitions as well. Up to now, it has all been dumped in C. I've been told partitioning will make the computer run more efficiently. I thought it would be nice to have the operating system in one partition, files and folders in another and copies of all my application CD's on a third partition. Would that make sense?

OK. How do I do it? I've already saved all my data (I hope I didn't miss anything) on an external hard drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:28 AM

You're definitely a glutton for hard work and I hope PS CS3 obliges in the new system. When you pop in your XP installation CD and press "any key to boot from CD", you then wait while files are loaded and setup checked then press F8 to accept the EULA. After that, you press Enter to install XP or R to repair it. You'll want Enter and then you'll be presented with the chance to install on to C:\ or to Partition. If you have a 160Gb disk, you can split that into two so alter the figure that says 156000 or similar to 80000 by overwriting. Next you have the chance to accept the balance of 70000 or so and you'll accept that so it will be termed as D:.

From that point onwards, everything is normal - accept the Format option rather than Quick Format and leave the D:\ until XP is installed then do it in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg
Saga Lout {n} growing old and becoming a little unruly.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:49 AM

FWIW: It's my experience that XP will sometimes take the entire hard drive and create C:, not giving the user a chance to specify a smaller size partition. This may possibly occur only with MS OEM/System Builder versions...but I recently had this happen as I installed to a 250GB drive.

If that happens...you can use an easy method to resize C: and then create additional partitions...using a free utility like Easeus Partition Master - http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-parti...g-partition.htm.

Louis

#4 rikki

rikki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

Thank you so much for your responses. I'm a nervous wreck that I might have forgotten something really important but I've done this before. BTW, I downloaded easeus and I hope it's not too hard to do. A techie I'm not.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:55 PM

As with any program...it's a lot easier to use if the user reads the directions before actually trying to use it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users