Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 doen

doen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:05 AM

I have a very old computer that restarts automatically a minute after it has booted up. I have some files that I want to take from it so I removed the hard drive and connect it to my other computer with an IDE cable. I have 2 other hard drives and a dvd drive connected with SATA cables. I try to start up the computer but every time the windows logo comes up, the computer crashes. Is there a way I could somehow access the drive and take the files out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:17 AM

sounds like a bad hard drive. that being said are you sure you have the BIOS setup for IDE hard drives, and the jumper set up properly? personally, anytime I try to get files of a bad hard drive, I like to use a Ubuntu Live CD (linux) to get them, normally by booting the computer the hard drive was installed on up on the linux live CD (it can and will run just from the CD drive) and use it to access the drive and then save the files there, either by burning them to CD (if the computer has 2 CD drives) a usb disc or transfering them over network.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 doen

doen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

Yea, most likely a bad hard drive. I'm not sure if I had the BIOS setup or anything; however, the BIOS was able to detect the hard drive as a master. Since I was able to bootup with the hard drive with the other computer for a few minutes, I thought it would be possible to retrieve some files from it using this computer. However it just crashes immediately during bootup. Do you think one of those hard drive external enclosure might work? And I'm not really familiar with Linux so could you give me a little more information on going about doing that.

Edited by doen, 02 February 2010 - 08:36 PM.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:27 AM

might sound strange...but...put that drive in the freezer for a night. (put it inside a large sandwich bag and seal it)
Try booting from it the next day.

Am I crazy? :thumbsup: hell no.....it actually works!....long enough to retrieve some files, but its a temp solution, so act fast!
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:33 AM

well the freezer idea might work, never tried it but I cant see it hurting anything to try it so go for it. as far as linux is concerned, you need a live cd of some sort, I normally use Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download you should be able to get it there. just download it and burn it to a disc its already a ISO image so its pretty easy. from there put the burned cd into the computers CD drive, boot up with it, select the option that says something along the lines of try ubuntu (should be first option) it should load right up, then you hit home and see if it finds the hard drive or not.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 doen

doen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

I was able to retrieve my files using ubuntu. Thank you so much.

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:08 PM

glad you got it figured out :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users