Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DEP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:21 AM

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if I should have DEP (Data Execution Prevention) set to just essential Windows programs and services, or, all programs other than those I can put in the list.

I just noticed that it has been set to just essential Windows programs and services and I am thinking it should be set for all programs, but I do not know so I have to ask all of you.

Which setting is best and will changing it to all programs have any ill effects for my system?

Also, it says that my processor does not support hardware based DEP but Windows can use DEP software to control some types of attacks. Does that mean Windows provides that or do I need to install something else to provide it?

I just switched it to the latter but it needs the computer to be restarted to take effect and I have not restarted yet, would rather wait til I know if my system will have problems with this setting.

Thank you for any and all help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:54 AM

This is my first post here but I do have some experience and post quite a lot in other Fora. My view on this one is if you haven't been prompted about a DEP problem, as with lots of things it's best to leave settings where they are. I've recently had to exempt IE 8 from DEP for long enough to resolve the difficulty but I wouldn't recommend making any changes for no good reason.
[b]
Saga Lout {n} growing old and becoming a little unruly.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:40 AM

Agree with Saga Lout...I don't think I've ever bothered with a setting at all, going with the default.

Louis

#4 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

Thank you both for answering. I have switched it back to the default setting of esential programs and services only.

The reason I was thinking it would be best to have it on for all programs is it is suppose to stop some malware attacks. Due to the recently found vulnerablility in IE, Micorsoft recommends that it be turned on for IE and from what I have read, I don't believe that is one of the programs that is covered by the setting for just essential programs and services.

Thanks again for answering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users