Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OPERATING SYSTEM ERROR

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jahmaneal

jahmaneal

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:25 AM

I HAVE A HARD DISK ERROR MESSAGE SAYS PRESS CONTROL -ALT-DEL TO RESTART BUT NOTHING HAPPENS JUST SAME MESSAGE. PLEASE DO ASSIST ME WITH THIS ISSUE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Saga Lout

Saga Lout

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 04:59 AM

I HAVE A HARD DISK ERROR MESSAGE SAYS PRESS CONTROL -ALT-DEL TO RESTART BUT NOTHING HAPPENS JUST SAME MESSAGE. PLEASE DO ASSIST ME WITH THIS ISSUE.

Windows offers an option to boot into Safe Mode for just this sort of occasion so if you restart your computer and start tpaping the Funciton 8 key immediately, you'll see the Advanced Boot Menu. If your computer is a Packard Bell, you might get one of their menus first but accept the hard disk option and then tap F8 again for Windows to notice.

From the Advanced menu, select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" then you should see a blue screen with the Stop Error message on it. Please post back some of the detail - the numeric element and anything alphabetic and separated by underscores. Someone will be able to help you when that information is posted.

Edited by Saga Lout, 02 February 2010 - 05:00 AM.

Saga Lout {n} growing old and becoming a little unruly.

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:08 AM

also note.

Post more details on what kind of system you have and we might be able to do more than guess.

The error message is not exact enough to tell for sure if it is a bios message (meaning it can't see a hard drive) or a windows message which would mean the drive is recognizable and the boot info is read before the error.

Some of us here have detailed info on hundreds of types of systems and yet it is useless if you can't give enough info to do more than guess.

#4 jahmaneal

jahmaneal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

please advive here is some more info on my sony vgn-130g laptop.

Hard Drive
Capacity: 300GB
Speed: 5400rpm
Interface: Serial ATA

Memory
Type: DDR2
Installed: 2GB PC2-4200
Speed: 533MHz

Processor
Type: Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2050
Speed: 1.60GHz
Front Side Bus Speed: 533MHz
L2 Cache: 2MB
Technology: Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology

Software
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Media
Center Edition

Graphics
Processor: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950Video RAM: 128MB [Dynamically Allocated Shared
(RAM/Video) Memory]
Chipset: Intel® 945GM
Interface: VGA Out with Smart Display Sensor

it was recently updated o believe to new sp3 from sp2.
THE ERROR MESSAGE I GET AFTER START IS ( A DISK ERROR OCCURRED PRESS CONTROL ALT DEL TO RESTART AFTER DOING THAT SONY VAIO WELCOME SCREEN POPS UP FOR ABOUT 3 SEC AND THE SAME MESSAGE APPEAR AGAIN. WILL APPRECIATE IF ANY HELP ON HOW TO FIX THIS ERROR. THANKS. :thumbsup:

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:24 PM

ok. I think you left out a letter (N) in you laptop model, but that's ok, Sony doesn't want anyone to actually fix their laptops. They want you to buy another one or pay their factory repair service the same price as a new laptop to repair it with refurb parts.

Anyone who has any interaction with sony can only come to the conclusion that they don't have any use for customers who know which end of a screwdriver is operative. I will never buy anything from them nor let my friends do so. YMMV

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-hom...N130G&LOC=3

The error message at that point indicates that the bios is running (sony splash screen) but it cannot find the drive.

open the bios (at the splash screen press f2, or f-1 or delete. Some sonys actually used f-3.)

Look for a place where it shows the drives installed.

If you see a cdrom but no drive, you may want to check and make sure the hard drive is in the machine and working.

If it is a sata drive (which sony treats like a state secret) you can remove it from the laptop and plug it into any computer with a sata drive connector free and see if it is readable. If so , back up yer stuff.

If you need to order a recovery set, here is the part number:

Y8315692A VGN-N110G/130G/150G/170G RECOVERY DVD SET

https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/acce...ryName=Computer

The above link may or may not take you to the page to order it.

at the bios screen f-10 should take you to the on disk recovery partition. You can back out if it does but that would be an indication that the drive does exist and you might try reinstalling from that screen if you have your important stuff backed up.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 03 February 2010 - 05:25 PM.

#6 jahmaneal

jahmaneal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:49 AM

I do have the recovery disk but not familiar how to use them to just repair windows , I was able to get to the bios utility but not able to know if the hard drive is crap or the windows operating system needs repair. Any suggestion on how to use the recovery disk I have.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

I think, you should start with testing your hard drive....

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

seatools for windows has a generic long and short test that will work for any kind of drive. If you can't boot windoze that may not be any help though...

Ubuntu 9.10 has an automatic drive test when you boot the cd. It looks like it reads and interprets SMART data from the drive controller, but it will definitely tell you whether the drive exist or not.

However, before you start trying to reinstall, do you have stuff on the drive (music, pictures, saved tax forms or documents) that you will miss ? The recovery partition reinstall is usually (almost always) a wipe of the drive or partition and a reinstall to the same state it shipped from the factory.

Anything you have not copied to another device will be gone. Electrons in the wind. If you have important stuff on the drive, take it to someone who can back it up for you if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

If you tell us you have the drive backed up, we can walk you through a reinstall.

Do you know anyone locally that uses linux? They will be able to tell is the drive is accessible and recognized by the bios. They should also be able to back up your stuff if the drive is readable.

Here is a walk through of how to back up your files using a ubuntu live cd.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users