Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diagnosing faulty ram stick/slot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bourkie

bourkie

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:05 AM

I was trying to reinstall windows today and I keeped getting a error, I checked the error on the net and it was a memory one, I started removing ram stick and have gotten it to work, I have 2 out of 4 sticks removed and I don't know where to go from hear to finding out which stick/ slot is faulty, could someone help me out with this, any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks Bourkie.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:22 AM

Lets try this first. On occasion I have had trouble installing Windows if I was working on a machine with multiple sticks. Pulled out all but one, sometimes two and the install went without a hitch.

If you have successfully completed the install I would go ahead and reinsert the RAM. Use the machine and see if you encounter any further memory related problems.

#3 bourkie

bourkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:34 AM

my system was unstable before I did the reinstall today and I've install xp once, and win 7 twice onto the computer without a problem with all sticks in and same hardware, and a few months ago I was getting blue screen errors about the memory but they stoped so I sure something is wrong with the ram or ram slots, either way I would like to test them while everything is still in warranty

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:39 AM

You can download memtest. Burn it as an .iso. Boot from the CD.

#5 bourkie

bourkie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

I found one the the stick faulty, when I tested the faulty one it was getting 1000's of errors, I tried in another slot and still got the errors.
Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:24 PM

Your :thumbsup:
Glad you were able to track it down.

Hopefully the stick has a good guarantee.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users