Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys Wireless Ethernet Bridge, No router available to use to complete setup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kmpage28

kmpage28

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:06 PM

A little history:

I just moved into a new house which is rented from the landlord who lives in the house directly behind my house. The landlord agreed to install (and successfully did so today) a wireless router so I could get internet off of him. BUT, I use a JoiPhone (used to be connected through my internet)...So, I purchased a Linksys Wireless-N Ethernet Bridge (Item #WET610N) BUT can not get it setup as I do not have access to the landlord's computer to get his internet settings (which Linksys "says" I need to get this thing up and running so I can plug in my telephone). I am looking for a way to get the ethernet bridge connected without having to bother the landlord (it was a lot to get him to install the wireless internet router, don't want to push my luck here). I did try going to the IP address 192.168.1.1 but it asked for a user name and password (I did try "admin" for the password, but it did not work)...I am at a loss about how to get this setup to work (my laptop works just fine using the wireless router, I just need to be able to get my phone up and running). HELP!!!! Thank you!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:47 PM

#1) Its not your internet so you need to talk to your landlord.

#2) If you are connected wireless to his router then you know everything you need to get that thing hooked up. If he is smart, judging from the fact he knew to change the password on the router he isn't dumb, then he might be using MAC filtering. If he is using MAC filtering there is nothing you can do except refer back to #1

But the one thing no one here is going to tell you how to do is bypass the security on a router that you do not own.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 kmpage28

kmpage28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:10 AM

Thank you for your reply, BUT, THE ROUTER IS MINE, WE PURCHASED IT and HE INSTALLED IT. So, don't be too quick to judge and say I don't own it. I bought it, he installed it so we could get internet.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

Ok my mistake but "The landlord agreed to install (and successfully did so today) a wireless router so I could get internet off of him." didn't really make it clear who bought the router now did it?

Its your router ask him for the security to it then.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users