Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

.exe programs not opening properly after Norton reboot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tlarry92

tlarry92

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

Dell XPS 420
Windows Vista Home Premium
Using Firefox

Surfing the web today, Norton detected a Trojan, stopped it and had me restart.

When I restarted, some of my desktop icons weren't showing correctly, and wouldn't start up. (Firefox, Itunes, Windows Media Center, Dell Data Safe, Bloomberg, Excel...and some others.) A generic icon (Blank white box) was there where the real icon used to be.

I still can run some of these programs, but I have to right click on Firefox and hit start. I-tunes forces me to search for the program when I click it.

Tried System Restore but even that was asking me to choose a program to open it. I finally got to the system restore through the control panel, but it didn't seem to work.

I have not installed the Vista service pack 2. I keep having problems with that. 2 weeks ago, the SP2 update failed. When I downloaded it from Microsoft website, and tried to run the .exe the system asked me to choose a program.

It doesn't look like I've lost any files, but I think there is something that jacked up my computer.

I ran a full system Norton scan, and an online Microsoft scan, and they didn't find anything.

I'm not code savvy, but I've been trying to figure this out all day.

for instance....when I go to the Control Panel > Security Center > Check this computer's security (or Firewall status) a box comes up asking me to choose a program to run those exe files....

What's going on here?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tlarry92

tlarry92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:23 PM

Anyone?