Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAN but no Internet after malware removal

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TheBattleOfEvermore

TheBattleOfEvermore

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:15 PM

After removing the "XP Internet Security 2010" adware from a friend's laptop, I am unable to connect to the internet on it. It connects to both his LAN and my LAN and shares files on a Windows network. However, both Mozilla and IE will not load any pages. I used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and "FixReg.exe" to remove the adware, per the recommendation of a BleepingComputer.com article (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-antivirus-vista-2010)

I did my best to do adequate research before begging for all of your help. I learned that malware can corrupt the Winsock stack and that repairing that can restore internet access. I followed the instructions from the Microsoft Knowledge base to do this and it didn't help. I also downloaded and ran several repair utilities that claimed to do the same task automatically. Still no internet. I ran a netdiag /test:winsock command and it returned successful, so I determined that my winsock is not the issue.

What else could be preventing me from accessing the internet?

Thanks so much,
Sam

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 30 seconds.
Power them back on.
Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

At Command Prompt, type in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Hit Enter.
Type in:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network...inSockFix.shtml (doesn't work in Vista)
Restart computer, and check again.

If that doesn't work...
Download Dial-A-Fix (DAF) (doesn't work in Vista):
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#...2C_and_articles

Have XP CD available in case DAF needs a file. Likely not!

Check all boxes on the screen (clear any restrictions if it shows any)
Then click GO!

When the entire page is finished click the HammerHead at bottom to go to the second DAF page.

Here, one at a time, do the below:

Reinstall BITS
Reinstall Windows Firewall
Repair Permissions
Reset networking

Watch for any File not found or other errors and make note as this may lead to the fix!

Restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:50 PM

In Control Panel>Internet Properties>Connections, make sure the Proxy Server selection box is unticked
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 TheBattleOfEvermore

TheBattleOfEvermore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I regret to say that although I followed both of your instructions' to a T, the problem persists. The laptop connects to the LAN but won't connect to the internet. The other computer on the LAN browses fine.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Sam

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:48 PM

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Click OK (hold CTRL, and SHIFT, hit Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy (with Vista, most likely, you won't need it).

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 TheBattleOfEvermore

TheBattleOfEvermore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:00 PM

The scan won't complete; it asks for a Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD; which I certainly don't have as the laptop is running XP Media Center Service Pack 3.

EDIT

...and all I have available is an XP home CD

Edited by TheBattleOfEvermore, 02 February 2010 - 10:01 PM.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

Yeah, you have a problem then....
"sfc" apparently found some corrupted system files, but you're pretty much at the dead end.
As you can see, "sfc" asks you for XP Media Center Service Pack 3 CD.
Media Center Edition is the worst XP flavor to troubleshoot.
The reason?
With any other XP version, you could borrow Windows XP CD, slipstream SP3 into it and provide it for "sfc".
Unfortunately, for a reason probably know to Bill only, Media Center edition won't let you to slipstream any service pack.
You would have to have that exact CD (XP Media Center Service Pack 3) to continue with "sfc".
Alternatively, you could have XP Media Center Service Pack 2, uninstall SP3 from your computer and still run "sfc".
Unless you're able to get one of those CDs, your only option is to reinstall Windows.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 TheBattleOfEvermore

TheBattleOfEvermore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

As you can see, "sfc" asks you for XP Media Center Service Pack 3 CD.
Media Center Edition is the worst XP flavor to troubleshoot.

Maybe im misunderstanding what you're saying, but sfc asks for an XP Professional SP3 CD, not a Media Center CD, which confused me because the computer is running Media Center.

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

I know, it's confusing. Media Center Edition is just an offspring of XP Pro. However, if Media Center is currently installed, you have to have Media Center CD. "sfc", or Windows repair won't accept just XP Pro CD.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:38 PM

Read the second post here, where thet discuss the i386 folder:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 TheBattleOfEvermore

TheBattleOfEvermore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

After perusing the forum you suggested, garmanma, I figured my best bet would be to grab the Media Center 2005 rollup 2 download from Microsoft (after confirming the version of my Media Center), then extract it to C:\i386 and point SFC to look there using regedit. This was mentioned by another user on that forum, but he suggested it for a service pack.

This didn't work, and I continued to get the insert CD prompt, so I did something illegal. I downloaded a torrent of a full, bootable Media Center with SP3 (allegedly), scanned it with malwarebytes' anti-malware and AVG, then burnt it to a DVD and hoped that would be enough for SFC. It wasn't. Could the fact that I burnt it to a DVD be the issue? I also grabbed a bootable windows XP professional with sp2 and tried that with the same results. This was also burnt to a DVD.

Any other suggestions? If I must reinstall windows, what would the most efficient/safest route to take be?

Thanks again for the help, guys

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:45 PM

It depends on what you have.
Recovery CD? Recovery partition?
Surely, you have to back up your data first.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 jbinbi

jbinbi

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:38 PM

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but having the same problem after deleting malware using malwarebytes and combofix. Was able to get on lan, had an ip but couldn't get to internet. Tried running winsockfix as thought i had problem. My dyndns updater showed me a 'winsock' error, so i figured that was the issue.

However, after running winsockfix, I now get an error when clicking on properties in network connection, or double clicking on litttle display options for network properties . 'an unexpected error occured'.

I wanted to try to hard code, ip and dns, but can't even get properties dialog box.

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:02 PM

jbinbi

You need to start your own topic.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 TheBattleOfEvermore

TheBattleOfEvermore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:58 PM

Hey guys, I ended up finding a STUPIDLY easy fix to this problem. Sorry I never posted it to the thread earlier, I must have forgot. I was looking through my bookmarks and came across this lol. Figured i'd supply the solution to my original problem with the intention of helping out anyone else who may come across this in the future.

I noticed in the "services" configuration utility of windows (Run-->services.msc) that the DHCP client service had been disabled. I enabled the service, started it, and the computer browsed the net with no problem. I suppose the malware disabled the service at some point. I can't remember why the computer wouldn't browse the internet if I manually entered the IP and DNS information, or if I did that at all, but at any rate, checking the DHCP service fixed the problem. Thanks again to everyone, this site is the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users