Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DriverCure

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 EdithBunker

EdithBunker

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:41 PM

Today while I was away from home, my son turned on my computer and this DriverCure program popped up. It ran itself in a scan, and says I need several drivers. In my taskbar, it says there are 25 outdated items found. I've no doubt I'm behind on things my computer needs, but as far as I know, I didn't download this program--none of the rest of my family remembers dl it, either. And there is a big "fixNow" button i could click, but I just have a feeling it's gonna ask for money before it "fixes" anything.

I googled for reviews and low and behold, there are no bad reviews-- i find that suspect, also.

Right now, the program is sitting on my desktop, open, the scan having run itself--I've done nothing with it til I ask someone what to do with it!

Like I said, I've no doubt I have things out of date and things on this computer that have snuck in. This is the computer my teenage son uses most, since his is dead (Died right after the warranty was over and while we're still paying-- woopee! and we can't afford to have some computer repair place experiment with what they "think" it needs.)
My son loves to go to the free game sites, and has had to dl patches for his Civ games--and I have no idea if we can trust where he gets the patches--and I have a feeling these patches or other dls he's agreed to were the reason for the demise of his own computer! And my computer doesn't work like it used to-- granted, it's 4 years old and probably in need of some overhaul or a system restore or such. I'm wondering if I should post a HiJackThis log to have someone see if I have cooties I don't need.

I do run CCLeaner periodically, and have superantispyware running in the background, Avast is my AV, I run adaware and spybot also, but Adaware won't load updates--some error-- I can run it and let you know what the error says if it's important to know.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:54 PM

I would uninstall it, using Add/Remove Programs.

Ad-Aware is considered to be less-than-useful these days...I suggest you uninstall it and replace it with the free version of SUPERAntiSpyware.

You mention all those programs...but you failed to mention whether you have all critical updates installed, which is the base for using any supplementary protection for XP.

Louis

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:20 PM

You mention SAS in the background. This means you have the paid version? The free version does not offer real-time protection only the ability to right click and scan individual files\folders.

#4 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

I uninstalled the DriverCure program--it kept trying to get me to change my mind at every turn--I don't think it's that last I'll hear from it! lol! I also uninstalled Adaware. I'm pretty sure I have Superantispyware installed and running--it's a little yellow bug in my taskbar.

The other thing--I think the updates are set to run automatically. I get this updating thing going on every so often when I'm logging off. The computer will say to not turn off the computer while updates are being installed

Sorry ThunderZ, I must have been typing when your post came in--I didn't know the free version isn't a real time running thing--this is the free version--I always thought it was scanning all the time--guess that's why there is always "stuff" in my Adaware/Spybot scans?

Second edit: So this DriverCure wasn't necessarily a "bad guy"? From what i thought I understood "foistware" is, I thought that was what this is, since i didn't invite it to come play on my 'puter

Edited by EdithBunker, 01 February 2010 - 09:30 PM.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:33 PM

I'm pretty sure I have Superantispyware installed an running--it's a little yellow bug in my taskbar.

I`m not doubting you have SAS installed or the little yellow icon in the task bar. Just wanting you to be aware that if it is the free version then it is not providing you real time protection. All it is doing is adding a menu option to the menu when you right click on a file or folder.

Taken directly from their website.

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition does not include real-time blocking or scheduled scanning.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

I don't know of anything that offers real-time scanning...other than an AV program.

Perhaps Windows Defender, but it is not highly recommended (or supported, I believe) these days.

Malware/adware/spyware scanners are not AV programs and should not be expected to perform the same functions as an AV program, IMO.

Louis

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:44 PM

Malwarebytes and Superantispyware paid versions do. Threatfire free does.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

Didn't know about the paid versions of those two, I tend to use the free versions (which I think are great)...thanks :thumbsup:.

Threatfire is an app I've never found a need to investigate, since the free ones I use do the job for me.

Louis

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:56 PM

Use only the free of MBAM ans SAS myself. :thumbsup:

For my particular usage, 4 of my 6 PCs run custom installs of my preferred free AV and TF free with custom settings in place.

Everyone has different need`s and knows what works best for them and their PC(s). The main thing is protection. :trumpet:

I for one would find it a bit embarrassing :inlove: to find myself paying a visit as a patient to the AII or HJT forum. :flowers:

#10 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:16 PM

Okay you guys yer speaking Geek! LOL
SAS=Superantispyware and TF is Threatfire, but what is "MBAM" and "AII"? I know what HJT is.

And do i need to go to the HJT forum, or was this a minor problem with this DriverCure?

And should I look into the free Threatfire? I know that an AV program is different than the real time scanner I thought SAS was--which if i understand right, mighta caught this DriverCure, or other adware/foistware, if it had been the paid version?

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:38 PM

Okay you guys yer speaking Geek! LOL
SAS=Superantispyware and TF is Threatfire, but what is "MBAM" and "AII"? I know what HJT is.

I`m so sorry. Sometimes get a bit carried away.
MBAM = Malwarebytes. AII = Am I Infected. Consider it sort of the triage area before HJT.

It would not hurt to update and run a full scan with SAS. If you want a second opinion it would not hurt to download MBAM and do the same.

And do i need to go to the HJT forum, or was this a minor problem with this DriverCure?

Not familiar with the program so I can not give you a definitive answer. But should you run any of the suggested scans and they turn up anything other then tracking cookies then by all means I would consider posting in the AII forum.

And should I look into the free Threatfire? I know that an AV program is different than the real time scanner I thought SAS was--which if i understand right, mighta caught this DriverCure, or other adware/foistware, if it had been the paid version?

Sorry again. I can not guarantee it would have been caught. But if it does indeed contain malware or has malicious intent then you chances of having caught\blocked it`s install would have been increased.

Definition of foistware. In all honesty I had never heard the term before.

#12 EdithBunker

EdithBunker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:56 PM

Thanks, ThunderZ--I actually appreciate learning the terms--it took me forever to remember what I was being asked when someone asked me what my "OS" was! But pretty much once i learn it, I know it!--I think i did pretty good remembering the term foistware! :thumbsup: I just get the idea this DriverCure program only wants to "help" me if i give 'em money-- and I didn't ask for their help!

I'm gonna run all these scans tomorrow, right now, it's midnight and I am shutting down and going to bed!

I truly appreciate your help! And thanks too to hamluis! :flowers:

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:58 PM

Your :thumbsup:

That is what the Crew at BC are here for.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:43 AM

Paretologic is the developer of DriverCure and various other programs.

Although it doesn't seem that Paretologic programs have been noted as particularly useful or notably malicious...I have noted a number of previous postings by users where files are noted as troublesome...files which have been installed by Paretogic.

Paretologic Problems Noted.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 February 2010 - 11:23 AM.

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:03 AM

A little more SAS and MBAM should be updated prior to each use, only the paid versions do it automatically. And I 100% agree they are both very good and should be on every machine.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users