Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sytem reformat without original discs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 piperabo77

piperabo77

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

My computer was hit bad with some horrible viruses that made it unstable, the admins on this site recommended I reformatted my computer. What process should I use to go about doing this? I no longer have any of the discs that originally came with the computer (if there were any originally) what can I do about this?
I was using Windows XP home on a HP Pavilion

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 matt3

matt3

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:04 PM

I don't think that there is a way to reinstall XP without the install disk. You could ask a friend or someone else that has windows XP home but it has to be home edition. and you can use their CD to reinstall XP. If someone could correct me if i am wrong but i don't think that there is a way to install with out the disk. You could as a last resort call HP and ask them to send you a new XP install disk i dont know if they will do that now that XP is two OS's old but it is worth a try but if they do you will probably have to pay some money for the disk.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

Your best cheapest way to go is to contact HP Support. They will probably be able to send you the system restore disk(s) specific to your model. If available, it will be less expensive then a retail copy of XP Home.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

What is the model number of your computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:22 PM

You can order replacement CD's from HP for like 10 dollars I think.

#6 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

hp has full out of box recovery dvd sets for about 20.00 and shipping for most newer models. I have also gotten some for older models. You can put in your serial number on the hp support site and find out which recovery sets are available.

Those shipped after 2004 also should have a recovery partition that you can access by holding down f-10 at the bios boot splash screen.

If you need help finding it post your sn and model numbers from the tag on the back.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

You can check to see if there is a recovery partition.
Open up My Computer from your desktop.

Under Hard Disk Drives, if you see Drive D rp or something similar, that is the recovery partition.
Some computer manufacturers use that instead of including disks with the systems.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 February 2010 - 09:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users