Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Recovery Help Please!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Veez

Veez

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:09 PM

So my computer had some viruses that I couldn't get rid of and I decided to do a system recovery.

The computer is an HP pavillion xp

I restarted the computer, pressed F10 for system recovery..and it goes thruogh the whole process and after it is done, its like my computer is fresh out the box...it asks for my info to register and everything. After it boots up, i see that my desktop still has files from before the system recovery. I see mozilla and google chrome and skype and other programs I had before the system recovery. Then when i go to add/remove programs, I dont see any of them...yet they're on the computer

anybody know how I can do a COMPLETE system recovery??

I would appreciate any help..thank you!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

HP Pavilion what?

What's the model?

Louis

#3 Veez

Veez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

oh sorry about that. It is a Pavilion 754n

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:22 PM

hp f-10 recovery has a default mode of non destructive.

on the first page there is a button for "other options" or something like that. That one will show you a choice of destructive and "system restore" (which I assume is something like windows system restore) the destructive will format the drive and then do the OOB (out of box) recovery.

I just did this yesterday on an hp 7060 mediacenter desktop. I also cloned the drive to another sata drive and ran the non destructive just to see what it would do and it had all the icons but 80% of the programs did not work. The files in "my computer" were still there but another "hp_administrator" account was created so any program that used stuff in "documents and setting" would have required a reinstall.

Ther destructive choice is what you want to create a clean system after a rootkit or trojan problem.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 02 February 2010 - 01:22 PM.

#5 Veez

Veez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

That's awesome man. Thanks for pointing that out. once I get home ill do that. Thanks again!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users