Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what coding language would be needed?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 fallendream

fallendream

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

hey.

me and a friend have thought up a new way of web OS.

basically we need to make a client to access the OS via the internet. - what code language for this?

we need the OS - would modding linux work?

and finally we need a way for a user to log in to the server via the client and acces their own personal web os. - what coding language for this?

im thinking that PHP+MYSQL would work for the log in screen and maybe python for the client program?

if you do know what kind of language to use where please post any tutorials you have that could be of help.
thanks,
Joe.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:46 PM

What sort of access are you talking about? From what I can understand, you are describing a thin client.

#3 fallendream

fallendream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:51 PM

What sort of access are you talking about? From what I can understand, you are describing a thin client.

acces on tiers.

tier 1 - normal people - acces their 'os' and the files they upload.
tier 2 - admins - access everyones files (for virus scanning) and everyones 'os' including their own.

thats all. if that answers your question?
sorry if it doesnt.

Joe.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:16 PM

That is sort of what a server does, so I guess I still must not understand. Are you talking about multiple instances of an operating system?

At any rate, the operating system is irrelevant because one would use a network protocol layer to translate data into something the OS can understand, and vice versa. That is why Windows systems can talk with Unix systems, or a Sun based system can talk to other systems.

#5 gtaviper

gtaviper

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:34 PM

hello i am the friend that fallen talks about here to help the basic idea is for an operating system to be completely in the cloud (internet) this is a home project and we dont know too much about this so run down.

a internet os like ghost http://g.ho.st/ this is an operating system in a browser we are talking about setting one up on a server like this but having things like a web browser built in. to combat some massive problems we came up with having a completely blank os that has one link to the login page to our cloud os.

|computer|
|
|blank os|
| |
|cloud os| |off|

Edited by gtaviper, 01 February 2010 - 02:35 PM.

#6 fallendream

fallendream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:37 PM

the client i mentioned (probably the wrong word) would be a program on the desktop.
open it up to reveal a login screen.
login and access the OS.

simple in theory so far but no doubt itll get suddenly complicated.

Joe.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

I understand now. That is sort of what Google is trying to accomplish. gOS

Perhaps that will get you started?

#8 fallendream

fallendream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

I understand now. That is sort of what Google is trying to accomplish. gOS

Perhaps that will get you started?

thanks for the link.
ive spoken with gtaviper and from a glance Gos seems similar. hopefully we can beat google to it (though they no doubt have people knowing what to do and like, money :thumbsup:)

python seems a good language to code it all in. what do you guys think?

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

I do not think there would be a complete cloud OS ever. You would need basic OS installed on local hard disk for accessing internet. Then you can provide all other features and applications through cloud computing. So my suggestion would be to start by making cloud applications like Google Docs, with experience you can expand your project.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

I had sort of thought that also Romeo, but then again, a thin client uses an OS on a network server, so there is a usable model. In this case, the system would have to boot up enough to enable a connection to the remote OS, as well as handle all of the local hardware, so I can't see that this is much different. I think that the concept (a cloud os) is going to have a hard time taking off though.I have clients that do not really even want to use cloud based apps.

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:46 AM

Nobody wants to use cloud based apps because they heavily rely on the internet. In case of internet failure, malfunction, speed problem or unavailability etc, you are left no where, yet you have to pay for the services. Not to mention the regularly added cost of the internet. You cannot take your laptop in an area where there is no internet.

#12 gtaviper

gtaviper

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

i think that the future of computing will end up with cloud computing, however the only way that this would become a possabiliy is if most of the internet connections in places like london, paris and berlin are upgraded to at least a 50gb connection at the very least. this is possibly the way forward not for home computing but as google says with buinesses that hand out netbooks. in the lager picture this wont be around for a very long time however this is one of the most antisapated computing leaps people are looking forward to alongside with light procesers and nano technology it will be a reality however this will not be around for a good 20-30 years.

#13 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

I see cloud computing as waste of internet bandwidth and which in other words means waste of energy. If I can install office apps on my hard disk why connect internet every time i want to use it? The only thing that cloud computing would be good at is preventing piracy. Nobody would be cracking or sharing anything and everyone will have to pay. So for corporations its big money, but for planet environment its more trees down and rise in global temperature.

As such, in small amounts its okay but if you want whole OS, controlling my computer, to be on a server 3000 miles away, then its simply not logical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users