Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:50 PM
My computer is infected with a virus that hijacks Google search result links. I have tried the following and ran into complications:
- I tried system restore but after I selected a checkpoint and click OK, nothing happens. When I tried to create a restore point it fails suggesting I reboot and try again. Rebooting does not fix the problem. I have also tried system restore in safe mode, that also does not work. I have since disabled my system restore which means I've lost all my checkpoints.
- I ran Adaware and it found 1 malware which is deleted, but the hijack still occurs.
- I tried to install a fresh copy of Sypbot. It appears to install correctly, but when I run it by clicking the desktop icon I get the Windows hourglass for a few second and then it disappears and Spybot GUI never appears. In the system task monitor I see the Spybot process but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.
- I tried installing Malwarebytes malware detection tool. It hangs up at the last step where I think it is installing all the files. I get a desktop icon, but it behaves just like when I installed Spybot.
- I ran HijackThis and deleted ctfmon as I read that that may be the source of the infection, but I still get the hijack problem
I need help with what else I can try as I feel stuck now. I have tried all the stuff I know about, but since I can't successfuly execute any of the programs I'm not getting anywhere.