Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google hijack with complications

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 digic

digic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:50 PM

My computer is infected with a virus that hijacks Google search result links. I have tried the following and ran into complications:

- I tried system restore but after I selected a checkpoint and click OK, nothing happens. When I tried to create a restore point it fails suggesting I reboot and try again. Rebooting does not fix the problem. I have also tried system restore in safe mode, that also does not work. I have since disabled my system restore which means I've lost all my checkpoints.

- I ran Adaware and it found 1 malware which is deleted, but the hijack still occurs.

- I tried to install a fresh copy of Sypbot. It appears to install correctly, but when I run it by clicking the desktop icon I get the Windows hourglass for a few second and then it disappears and Spybot GUI never appears. In the system task monitor I see the Spybot process but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.

- I tried installing Malwarebytes malware detection tool. It hangs up at the last step where I think it is installing all the files. I get a desktop icon, but it behaves just like when I installed Spybot.

- I ran HijackThis and deleted ctfmon as I read that that may be the source of the infection, but I still get the hijack problem

I need help with what else I can try as I feel stuck now. I have tried all the stuff I know about, but since I can't successfuly execute any of the programs I'm not getting anywhere.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 digic

digic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

I like to add that my PC is running XP Professional

0 user(s) are reading this topic