Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 doesn't love me anymore

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VariablePenguin

VariablePenguin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

I recently installed Windows 7 on my computer. I had XP already installed on one hard drive and installed 7 on a secondary one.

Everything was going perfectly, Windows 7 was running, I had gotten my files all transfered to the new hard drive, it ran smoothly. But then I reformatted the XP hard drive and now it won't start Windows 7 anymore. I've tried using the DVD to check the install, or reinstall onto the old XP drive, but it tells me there is no System Partition. Now I see this and think maybe I formatted the hard drive wrong. So I use MaxBlaster (it's a Maxtor hard drive) to fix that and remake the XP drive as a System Partition, but still the same thing. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

To confirm: there are two separate drives, correct? Not two partitions on the same drive? (this is important)

The boot files necessary to boot both operating systems were on the XP drive. When you reformatted the XP drive, all these boot files went away. Now, no operating system can boot (there is no boot sector).

This can usually be fixed fairly simply:

Just boot off your install disk, and choose "Repair your computer" in the bottom left of the first install window (don't click "Install now", look in the bottom left corner of that window for "Repair your computer"). The repair utilities will scan your computer for installations of Windows 7. It should find your installation and say something to the effect of: "A Windows installation has been recovered. Please reboot to fully recover this installation....blah blah" Allow it to reboot. Boot off the install disk again, "Repair your computer" again, and this time, your Windows 7 should show up in the list. Click next. Choose "Startup Repair" at the top of the list. The repair utilities will scan for problems and fix what is necessary to be able to boot. Reboot again. You should now be able to boot. If not, simply do the "Startup Repair" one more time (it sometimes takes two tries to fix everything), and it should almost surely be correct now.

Does this solve your problem?

If not, tell me exactly what you did and what happened when you did it, and I will do my best to correct the problem. :huh:

Edited by keyboardNinja, 01 February 2010 - 01:37 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 VariablePenguin

VariablePenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:02 AM

I do have 2 hard drives and I did try the Repair option, it said it worked, but it really didn't when I rebooted.

But... I did fix this!

I used MaxBlast again to clone the new hd with Win 7 to the old hd and then reinstalled Win 7 on the over the old hd and somehow that fixed it. Sure I have 2 copies Win 7 installed on 2 different hds on the same computer and the version that boots is the old hd's, but who cares? It works now! :huh:

What's my best way of getting rid of the now unneccessary first copy of Win 7 without causing similar issues?

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 03:30 PM

Well, the simplest way would be to format both drives, and do a reinstall on the one that you want Windows 7 on. However, that would be very time-consuming, as you would have to reinstall all of your software.

Try this instead:

While booted into the Windows 7 that you want to keep, type msconfig into the Start Menu and hit Enter. On the boot tab, select the OS that is without a doubt NOT the current one you are booted into (it should say which is the current one). Click the Delete button (the button inside the window, not the Del key). That should leave just the Windows 7 that you are booted into. Try rebooting and see what happens. Have your install disk handy in case it does not boot. Although it should boot, in case it doesn't, try a "Startup Repair". This should remedy it, if there are problems.

You should now be able to safely format the drive that contains the unwanted Windows 7. Make sure you chose the correct one when you format!!

If formatting the unwanted Windows 7 drive causes your other to become unbootable again, try the "Startup Repair" again. It usually fixes the missing boot files, if there are any.

Problem solved yet? :huh:

#5 VariablePenguin

VariablePenguin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:36 PM

Yes. Everything is good now. Thanks!

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:13 PM

Awesome!! You're welcome!! :huh:

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:27 PM

NICE JOB keyboardNinja! You just made another happy camper with a computer.

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2010 - 05:51 PM

I do my best. :huh: