Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Tray icons flicker

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:04 PM

Hi all!

I was trying to solve a problem regarding display window sizing and made a change, which I can't specifically remember, in Control Panel>display>performance. I chose maximum performance instead of best graphics or something. Computer speed went up considerably.

But, I now have flickering in my System Tray icons every 20 seconds. Checking Windows Taskbar CPU useage the normal useage while connected to net is about 6%-15% Cpu useage. Every 20 seconds at icon flickering the CPU spikes to 35%-45% useage.

Not all icons affected, only O/S Firewall Status, O/A program icon, Windows Security icon, Clock icon and Start button flicker.

HPDigital Imaging Monitor icon, Avira AV icon, System Sound icon & Device Mgr.-uninstall HP printer icon stay constant & don't flicker.

I much prefer the improved performance but don't want to break something, just hate that sound of kilobytes crashing into each other.

Any help appreciated, thanks!
S
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

Did you try system restore to some date from before changes?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

Thanks, Broni!

No, haven't tried system restore because of the situation: I much prefer the current performance and the display is still fine, and all that is much better than it was before changes. The flickering icons are only an annoyance, unless they are a sing of a more serious problem.

So the old rock & a hard place, how do I get my cake & eat it too? I want to keep the performance and fix the problem, with no idea what it could be?

The only thing worse for me than being a computer illiterate is that I know it from experience every day...!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

Try updating your video card drivers.

#5 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:44 PM

Try updating your video card drivers.

Hah, great idea, pure genius, 'cause I thought of it too :thumbsup:

But hey, gues what? We got outsmarted. Yep, the driver installation window is one of the ones with the bottom half cut off, can't upgrade drivers!

The mystery continues...

Thanks!

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:55 PM

What video card do you have?

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:29 PM

Yep, the driver installation window is one of the ones with the bottom half cut off, can't upgrade drivers!

You didn't say anything about this problem.
How exactly are you trying to upgrade video driver? Are you downloading new one from the manufacturer site?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

Sorry, I have 2 diffeent threads going, this and one about display window sizing, got confused what I was replying to. While attempting to correct the window size issue and changing settings this icon problem occurred. It happened after going into Advanced tab in system Properties, then Performance - Settings. I clicked on 'Adjust for best Performance'. unknown what it was set on before.

Performance improved but a result was the icons flickering also. Because of original problem with display windows sized wrong I had tried to update drivers. I failed at that, then tried again a few minutes ago. The manufacturer KDS had a driver for this KDS VS-19 that I downloaded. On last driver install Windows flashed a strong warning that it was not registered as compatible with XP-Pro or something, strongly warned against installing.

Back to square one, and icons still flicker. I went back in and changed the Performance settings, no change with problem, set them back to 'Adjust for best performance' setting, icons still flickering.

Whatever it's caused by it occurs regularly, exactly every 20 seconds, like something is doing a Refresh somewhere. I have no idea what or where.

Thanks for replies so far!

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:17 PM

On last driver install Windows flashed a strong warning that it was not registered

If you're sure, you have correct driver, you can safely ignore Windows warning (I assume, it was warning regarding digital signature).

Edited by Broni, 01 February 2010 - 09:17 PM.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#10 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:30 AM

Thanks, Broni!
I border on paranoia with my computer nowadays so M/S managed to put a gotcha on me and scared me away. Yes, I downloaded from the KDS website which I'll hope is safe. I'll try another install of driver, THANKS!

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:38 AM

Sure thing :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:08 PM

Okay, gang, here's the latest: been jumping hoops changing display settings, cache, system optimization, performance settings, Windows XP appearance, you name it.

During the course of that I studied the phenomena: icons are actually moving, not exactly flickering. It's the same movement as if you shut a program and all remaining icons shift right or whatever. Once I had changed some settings it became obvious it was only Online Armor icons that were moving, and event caused a backlash with other icons!

O/A is advising with their GREAT support staff [my absolute favorite company for aggressive customer support, #1 best I've EVER found!!].

Apparently it was a bogus install of O/A. I had one version, uninstalled, loaded another version, uninstalled, and went back to first, as Online Armor Premium. Somehow I screwed it up so seems to need a reinstall, but I want to do it correctly, so waiting for advice from O/A to fix up my screw up!

Thanks to Broni & Cryptodan for advice & concern!

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:34 PM

What is O/A?

#15 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:40 PM

Online Armor

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users