Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win XP Pro - 32 or 64 bit.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 krh1326

krh1326

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:48 AM

Hello All,

I have a computard question(s) for you.

I have 2 computers that I am working on, so I have two ask this 2 times. I also have XP Pro 32 and 64 available to me.

System 1 is a QDI Superb 4FX-SiS 648FX+SiS 963 - 6AL mobo with a Pentium 4 (HT) 3.4Ghz with 3 gig memory.

System 2 is an ASUS M4N78 Pro mobo with an AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core 2.3 Ghz with 3 gig memory (room for ALOT more).

I am told that system 2 definately should have 64 bit, and various answers for system 1.

I have tried to research my own answers, but as I said, I am a real technological dinosaur, computard, but I am trying to learn. The definitions and explanations that I seem to find are way beyond my realm of understanding.

Any input and very basic explanations would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

As basic as can be, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit:

"64-bit CPUs have existed in supercomputers since the 1960s and in RISC-based workstations and servers since the early 1990s. In 2003 they were introduced to the (previously 32-bit) mainstream personal computer arena, in the form of the x86-64 and 64-bit PowerPC processor architectures."

If your question is whether XP 32-bit or 64-bit shoud be run...I'd have to answer "neither" at this date.

Windows 7 should be run, with the user having the option of choosing whether it's 32-bit version or 64-bit version.

The big advantage to 64-bit O/S is that more RAM can be installed and recognized by the syatem, while 32-bit O/S is limited to 4GB of RAM.

Obviously, this difference is not a particular "advantage" to everyone, since many users don't do anything that would require more than 4GB of RAM. Combine this with the fact that few applications are written to take advantage of 64-bit operating systems...and I think that's where we are today.

Microsoft had this to say about such, http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/6...ploringx64.mspx.

Louis

#3 krh1326

krh1326
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

That was the most well thought out and thorough answer one could ask for.

Thank You.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:40 PM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users