Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need work laptop buying advice

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 language_buddy

language_buddy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

Total computer novice here. In the past, I've simply used whatever work has provided me...

Here's my dilemma. I need to get a new laptop for work pronto - problem is all of that techy info that they provide with computers is like a foreign language to me and we don't have IT support that can advise me. So, unfortunately for me, that leaves the task of buying a new laptop all up to me. Me, who simply likes to power up the computer and gets a headache when trying to troubleshoot the simplest task. I've heard good things about Acer and Asus but am completely unfamiliar with these brands. Are they reliable? Suited for work purposes? When I say work, I mainly use the Microsoft office products and a bit of Adobe Photoshop. Other than that, just general Internet use and file storage for photos, logos and such. I generally have several programs running at the same time as I'm writing, editing, referencing. An acquaintance has a Sony Vaio - is that one better for some reason?

I'm really hopeful that someone out there can advise me on the techy stuff to look for. My only requirements are really that the laptop travels really well (my current one is a 5-yr-old ThinkPad that must weigh a ton - I *hate* traveling with it, especially since I also have to work while on vacation, which means I'm lugging my personal stuff, baby's stuff, baby and this monster laptop in carryon) and meets my typical office needs. In other words, it needs to be light for traveling but still have a good sized screen since I write and edit a ton.

Please, please help :blink: I'd be very grateful for any info!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

What kind of budget are we talking about? This really matters.

Ideally something along these lines:

Proccesor: See this
RAM: 3GB Minimum
Screen size: 15" or less
Graphics: Onboard should do, Discrete optional
Hard disk: 320GB or more
Battery: 6 Cell
Weight: Under 7 pounds
WiFi

Additional Features:

Webcam
Bluetooth

Edited by ReviverSoft, 02 February 2010 - 08:16 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users