Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

emailing pics

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 hangglider

hangglider

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:10 PM

I use a five mega-pixel camera which i set to max resolution because i like to zoom in on detail, is there any way i can reduce the file size in order to email the pictures using dial up

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:13 PM

hangglider Thats a good question. I want to ask you one in return. Are you sending .bmt, .jpeg or some other type of file extension?
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:04 PM

You might do this.....Save your pics as JPEG for emailing...It helps send them faster by making them smaller. Right click image save as/save as type/jpeg
If you need a screenshot just ask......

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:37 PM

You didn't say what OS you employ. But, if you're using MS Win XP you can resize photos with "MS Photo Editor" if its in your setup or with "Paint".

MS Photo Editor click on "Images" > "Resize" a pop-up box will appear to guide you.

With Paint click on "Help" and there's a section there on resizing also.

I use the MS Photo Editor to reduce 2mg+ pix to around 500kb or less (In JPG/JPEG format) to put on a web site photo album. Reducing the size via this method compress pixels and can impart some negative effects. I've lessen that by reducing a pix by 25%, saving it and then re-editing it again reducing another 25%, etc, until I get an acceptable product.

Play with the programs a bit - you might be pleasantly surprised with your results.

In both programs there are options to "crop" also as I do to many pix. So one has several options to shave off total size of pix to email.

Have fun,
~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:18 AM

If your using Irfanview (free image editor), you can Resize & Resample.

Open picture in Irfanview / Image / Resize/Resample
On the left you can set the Width, Height, DPI, and Units (pixels, cm, inches), to what ever size you want.
On the bottom left, you will see "Preserve Aspect Ratio". If this is checked, your picture will retain the same proportions. When you type a size into the "Height" box, the size is automaticaly calculated, and entered into the "Width" box, and visa versa.
Or, on the right you can use Half, Double, or the preset standards, 640x480 - 1600x1200.
On the bottom right, in the "Size Method:" box, are different resample filters. Slowest will give you the best quality. Play around with these, until you find one you can live with. Remember, better quality, larger file size. If you check the "Resize" box, it will bypass the filters. This is faster, but it makes for a fuzzier picture.

When you have everything set the way you want, hit "OK"
Now, File / Save As
Navigate to where you want to save it, name it, and under "Save As Type:" choose "JPG - JPEG Files".
Click "Save", and that's it.
Now your picture is ready to be attached, or inserted into your e-mail.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:30 AM

Super Lesson, Tg1911. :flowers: A picture is worth a thousand words, but we need the 210 and punctuation that you've provided to get a good picture. Thank you. :thumbsup: :trumpet:

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2004 - 12:48 AM

I appreciate that. Glad you liked.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:58 AM

Very good brief tutorial for the casual user. I have been using the application for some time now, but your quick walk-through was very good and useful to an amateur such as myself.
Thanks for taking the time.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 23 September 2004 - 12:59 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:17 AM

This information, found at the site, might also provide one with additional understanding of photos, e-mailing them, etc.

License: Freeware

Information:
This free image viewer and converter supports an extensive list of formats:

Supported file types:

AIF, ANI/CUR, ASF, AU/SND, AVI, B3D, BMP/DIB, CAM (Casio JPG), CLP, DDS, Dicom/ACR, DJVU, ECW, EMF/WMF, EPS, FlashPix (FPX), FSH, G3, GIF, ICO/ICL/EXE/DLL, IFF/LBM, IMG (GEM), JPG2000, JPG, JPM, KDC, LDF, LWF, MED, MID/RMI, MNG/JNG, MOV, MP3, MPG, MrSID, NLM/NOL/NGG, OGG, PBM/PGM/PPM, PCX/DCX, PhotoCD, PNG, PSD, PSP, RAS/SUN, RAW, Real Audio (RA), RLE, SFF, SFW, SGI/RGB, SWF (Flash/Shockwave), TGA, TIF, TTF, TXT, WAD, WAV, WBMP, WBZ/WBC, XBM, XPM, CRW, NEF, ORF, RAF, MRW, DCR, DXF

Since I am a novice computer user, I boldfaced those I'm familiar with, and am surprised about the inclusion of audio...mp3, ogg, wav, etc. SWF, too. huh. I have a lot to learn. :thumbsup:

edit: I had to include more.

Some features of IrfanView:
Multi language support, thumbnail option, preview option, slideshow, drag-and-drop support, fast directory view, batch conversion, e-mail option, audio CD player, print option, change color depth, scan support, cut/crop, IPTC edit, effects (sharpen, blur, Adobe Photoshop filters), capturing, extract icons from EXE/DLL/ICLs, lossless JPG rotation, EXE/SCR creation, many hotkeys, many command line options, many plug-ins

Edited by phawgg, 23 September 2004 - 01:24 AM.

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 02:26 AM

jgweed,
No problem.
Glad it was helpful.
I have a short one on Batch Conversion, too, if anyone's interested.

phawgg,
Do you use Irfanview?
I've been using it since version 3.8 (about 2 yrs.)
It's amazing, what all, this little freeware program will do. Plus, there are tons of free plug-ins available for it.

#11 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:47 AM

While I use a different application for batch renaming, I would really like to see your brief tutorial for using IrfanView. It's amazing what this free program can do.
Thanks
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:05 PM

Here you go, jgweed.

To batch-convert multiple images in IrfanView:

1. Open Irfanview / File / Batch Conversion/Rename
2. Under “Files of Type”, Choose the "File Format" you want to find, and browse to the files you want to convert.
3. When you find the one you want, select it and click "Add". Do this, until you have all the images that you want to convert, selected.
4. In the "Output Directory" section, click "Browse"; to choose a file, where you'll save your new files.
5. In the "Work As:" section, select "Batch Conversion".
6. In the "Batch Conversion Settings:" section, choose the "Output Format" you want.

"Output Format" works just like "Save" and "Save As".
The "Options" button lets you choose various operations to perform.

If you put a check in the "Use Advanced Options" box, This will activate the "Set Advanced Options" button.
Use the "Set Advanced Options" button to apply many special operations to the images during conversion.
These options are much like their versions on the "Image" menu. These options are:

Crop, Resize, Change color depth, Horizontal flip, Vertical flip, Rotate left,
Rotate right, Convert to greyscale, Negative, Sharpen, Gamma
Correction, Contrast, Brightness and Color Balance.

7. On the left, at the top, Click "Start".

#13 hangglider

hangglider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2004 - 12:25 AM

hangglider Thats a good question. I want to ask you one in return. Are you sending .bmt, .jpeg or some other type of file extension?

It will be jpeg that I send
I have downloaded Infranview, I shall have a play with that after I have backed up the pics I wish to send
thank you all for your suggestions....

#14 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2004 - 12:33 AM

No problem, hangglider... send us some, too. If nothing else but a .jpg screenshot of an amusing windows operating error you've seen on your desktop lately. :flowers: you may know of this site :thumbsup:

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2004 - 02:53 AM

Your welcome, hangglider. Glad I could help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users