Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Security Essentials

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 willythecat

willythecat

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

Used to use Avast antivirus which l was really quite happy with but it seemed to be getting rather resource hungry, and seemed to be slowing the system down, response wise. (Its icon kept whirling away but at least it indicated it was doing something!)
Changed to MS Security Essentials, and it does seem to do what it says on the tin. Things seems a lot faster now and it also has a very simple interface which is a doddle to use. (one niggle is that its icon disappears from the toolbar and you have to expand it again to see if its working).
Under Avast, and throughout the day, messages would pop up to say that the programs database has been updated.
Doesn't appear so for MSE (well not for me anyway). I have to manually update it each time. Have read their sites notes as well as this sites notes on installation and have made sure that no old virus software remains. Have reinstalled MSE, just in case, but it still requires updates manually.
For example, my computer has been on all day and MSE says it's covered. Just before writing this post, went into the updates tab, and manually downloaded another four signature files. How can it be up to date then?
Am l doing something wrong or am l missing the point somewhere along the line?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 12:16 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials auto-updates once every 24 hours and there is no setting within MSE to change the scheduled time or frequency. See the MSE Definitions/Signatures Update FAQ. As such, you can always manually download the latest Microsoft Security Essentials updates from the Microsoft Malware Protection Center Portal.

Also see this announcement:

Microsoft has confirmed an issue with Microsoft Security Essentials that can occur when some PCs are regularly offline for extended periods and are frequently toggled between sleep/hibernate and active mode. In some cases, these machines may be delayed in receiving their regularly scheduled signature updates.

Microsoft is aware of the problem and is working on a solution. In the interim, we recommend that users who are not regularly online and who frequently sleep/hibernate their machines reboot or manually update their signatures at least weekly to ensure they have the latest threat definitions downloaded.

Microsoft Answers
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 willythecat

willythecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

Thank you very much Qm7, thats answered my question to a "T".
OK then, on the spot here, so sorry.
Avast updates regularly in real time, l like it a lot, but it is now getting a bit cumbersome.
MSE only updates once daily, from what you say, but has a smaller footprint and doesn't seeem to be so resource hogging.
Two seemingly good freebie AV programs. Oh my gosh!
What in your opinion would you recommend? Am not tying you down but am interested in what one to use and why.
Regards
WTC

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

MSE is basically a stripped-down version of OneCare aimed at users who either canít or don't want to pay for antivirus/anti-malware software.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative.

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program or avast! Free Antivirus if choosing a free alternative.

I recently updated avast to the new v5.0.396 on my wife's machine and have not noticed any decrease in performance. I also removed MSE from my laptop at work and installed avast 5.0. Again, no noticeable decrease in performance.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 willythecat

willythecat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

Thanks Qm7, your answer is very much appreciated.
As much as l like Avast, l'll stick with MSE for a few weeks just to see how it goes. (I now understand about the update situation from your previous post).
I then think l might try Avast again (new version 5) and see how that goes. Must admit, l do like Avast.
Slightly more complicated interface than MSE, but at least you can choose which items to cover and what not to cover.
If the worst comes to the worst, at least l can revert back to Avast knowing that l would still have excellent cover.
Thanks again for your reply.
Regards
WTC

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 06:35 PM

You're welcome and good luck.