Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 registry (Outlook Categories)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:09 AM

My boss recently had me migrate her from a Windows XP pro desktop to a Winodows 7 laptop.

I also moved her outlook 2003 email to the Win 7 laptop as well.

Upon opening her email, she realized that her Categories list in Outlook was not there. I figured out that to move her Categores from her Outlook client on the old Win XP Desktop, I needed to export the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Categories.

My question:

Because this key is in HKEY_Current_user, does that mean I have to log in with her account into the older WinXP machine? If I login with the network administrator account, do the values in HKEY_CURRENT_USER change?

Edited by SysTech Guy, 01 February 2010 - 09:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

Yes. When you are logged in, the HKCU would be your (admin) HKCU. But you can load HKCU of your boss without logging in with her credentials.

1. Log in your admin account. Open Regedit. Exapnd HKEY_USERS.
2. Select "File > Load Hive", select C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\ntuser.dat where [username] is login username of your boss.
3. When asked for key name, enter her username again.
4. Do whatever you want with her HKCU.
5. Select "File > Unload Hive"

#3 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:45 AM

What do I select to "Unload hive"? It seems that after loading the hive, I can't unload because the option to unload is grayed out. Do I have to find the 'ntuser.dat' file within the HKCU to "unload hive"?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:42 AM

You have to select the loaded hive and then Unload it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users