Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shuts down then starts back up with spacebar

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 manda_2k5

manda_2k5

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:26 AM

Hi, Im new here so sorry if i go against any guidelines.

My computer knocks itself off for what seems no reason at all, it starts up fine everything loads at it should, then when you open up somethin that requires a bit of memory it jus knocks off as if the electric run out. And if u press space-bar it turns back on and starts up as normal. and if you dont press the space bar it switches itself back on in 5 mins. I have done a anti-virus scan which said im clean, and i use ad-aware, spybot S&D and spyware blaster and they also come up clean on scans. I cant think of any installation I had done before i got this problem only a game which i uninstalled hopin to fix the problem to no avail.

I have asked around in chat rooms, and ive been told a few things, that its the CPU fan not workin and my computers overheating then shuttin down, but i checked that and it works fine, then I was told it could be bad ram. But my computers only 6 months old and I've had no problems with it before now (I got a 512 stick).

I can use Msn, and listen to music the same time, but i cannot do anything else for longer than 3 mins or it shuts off on me. I cant play none my games xept for Solitaire and Freecell which is really starting to get boorin lol.

I also had some advice to change a settin that instead of it switching off it goes to the "Blue Screen Of Death" But it still just knocks off, its not the power supply as it runs off its own plug that is not shared with anything else, I really need help on this Thanx Guys/Gals
XxX.MaNdA.XxX

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:01 PM

Are you sure the computer is shutting off? You might have a "blank" screensaver coming on.

Also what exactly do you mean by "knock off" ?

#3 manda_2k5

manda_2k5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:17 PM

Yip sure its not a screen saver, I've got a fish one lol.
Well for example...
I'll Play some music thru Winamp, go to open up any type of game (simple thing such as PopCap Games or a demanding game it makes no difference) and 3 mins later my puter jus goes off, no blue screem saying "Logging off" and then "Shutting down" it goes Off, I have a light on my tower power button, and when the puter is on it is lit blue, wen it is in Stand-By it goes orange. so I know its deffinitly off cos the light is off. The only way i can think of describing it is as if you holding the power button in (Emergency shutdown) the monitor goes into stand-by speakers too, and you can hear the noise of the puter shuttin down (fans slowing down etc...)

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:16 PM

Ok you said you got the computer 6 months ago? If its from a major manufactuer (ie: Dell, Compaq, HP, Gateway etc...) then I'd call up the warranty hotline and tell them whats going on. Because you'll still be covered since your computer is less than a year old.

#5 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 30 August 2005 - 06:18 PM

Hi what you are describing is as if your power box is shutting down from over heating, as that also has a fan in it and if the fan is faulty or shutting down then the power unit would shut down as well, to stop it from burning out, dont matter how old computer is they could go wrong anytime.
So get it checked out.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#6 manda_2k5

manda_2k5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 07:15 PM

K, thanx guys/Gals, Yea its from PC World, I jus wanted to know what was wrong with it before I called them up as the first thing they always tell you do is to re-format hard-Drive, got a lot on here I dont want to lose and not nough cd's to back up
Thanx guys :thumbsup:
XxX.MaNdA.XxX

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:33 PM

You could always just take the hard drive out and then send it in. :-P I wouldn't recomend this unles you know what you are doing when taking a computer apart. But I've done that b4.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2005 - 09:51 PM

Download and run Everest Home Edition.

Everest Home Edition

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. The information can be displayed on-screen, printed, or saved as a report in HTML or text format. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems, by highlighting them in the report and also includes links to manufacturers web sites, driver updates and more. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice.

The newest edition on the Lavalys site seems to have deleted the “software” reports so try the download at snapfiles. (The screenshot there shows “software”)

Download here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html

The newer freeware version on Everest’s site does not seem to have “software”.

AIDA 32, The predecessor
to Everest can be downloaded here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

Once you open the ap, click on the + to the left of the word "computer" and open the tree, then click on "sensor".

The right hand screen will give you the operating temps of various components of your system (mobo, processor, hd, and more) as well as telling you if fans are operating and at what speeds.

Keep program up and running and see if the temps change or the fans stop before your machine shuts off.

#9 manda_2k5

manda_2k5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 07:42 AM

Thanx Enthusiast I'll try that out today and Post up how it goes.

yanowhiz I can't take the hard drive out cos its classed as "tampering" with the computer and voids the warranty, also they come out to check but ill see how enthusiast's idea goes, if it comes to me calling them then ill jus say i've tried re-formatting it and it din work

Thx Guys

XxX.MaNdA.XxX

#10 manda_2k5

manda_2k5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 07:48 AM

I have just donwloaded that prog, and I dont know anything bout what temps should b and how fast the fans should be but it seems a bit hot :-S

Sensor Properties
Sensor Type ITE IT8712F (ISA 290h)

Temperatures
CPU 64 °C (147 °F)
Seagate ST3200822AS 49 °C (120 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 3375 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.33 V
+2.5 V 2.61 V
+3.3 V 3.31 V
+12 V 11.97 V
VBAT Battery 3.23 V

Is everything in the norm??

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 09:37 AM

Is this a laptop or a desktop?

A desktop should have more than one fan. The temp looks ok but the rpm looks low compared to my unit. That may or may not matter. See your manufacturer's specs (motherboard).

Did it shut down while you had the program running?

If not, see if you can make it shut down by opening another program and letting it run in the background while observing the temp and see if it spikes when it shuts down.

#12 manda_2k5

manda_2k5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:22 AM

It's a desktop, Packard Bell says it all huh, jus tried encoding a DVD i did copy all the info but then it jus shut down, the CPu temp went up to 84! and the CPU Cooling Fan was just under 5000 RPM and the seagate (whatever that is) went to 50, That was when I first starting encoding, I'm gonna try it again now and see if it changes at all before shutdown. I jus put my hand by back of puter and there is a fan by the power thing, n the air blowing out is quite warm. and the side of puter (CPU Fan) is blowing out cool air.

#13 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 31 August 2005 - 10:40 AM

Hi the seagate is your hard drive, cooling fan is running a bit high, fan by power seems also to be running too high should be cool, cpu fan should be over the proccessor should be sucking air in not out, have spoken to a computer buff and his advice is return it to the shop and tell them it has a fault on it, seems as if the proccessor is not seated properly.

Edited by thedon57, 31 August 2005 - 10:41 AM.

Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#14 manda_2k5

manda_2k5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:25 AM

Thx for the help everyone, I've gotten in touch with the warranty people, im just waiting for a reply thanx for the help everyone :thumbsup: Just hope they canfix it sumtyme soon :flowers: I tried looking for manufacturer's specs and found nothin much bout fans, only that theres 2 x cooling fan pin headers Internal I/O Connectors. Nuthin' else. But hopefully it was all be sorted soon thx Guys :trumpet:
:inlove:

XxX.MaNdA.XxX

#15 manda_2k5

manda_2k5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:19 AM

I've sorted the problem for now though. if i take the casing off I can play Juiced :thumbsup: & other games
Well chuffed lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users